Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jim Meyer Racing Products debacle

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I just noticed something really dumb in the diagram in the first post. The sway bar inside the crossmember tube. You don't need a sway bar with a ladder bar suspension. It's already way too stiff in roll. Enough so that you should never use ladder bars on the street. When you go around a corner the inside rear tire will lift off the pavement, killing side traction, forward traction, and ride.

As far as the bolts/nuts go, if you try to run those at an NHRA track, you'll fail inspection (if they look). NHRA requirement is similar to what was posted. One thread showing minimum.

Does the front mount for the ladder bar use a typical rod end (Heim joint) like it looks like? That's a big mistake. It needs either a rod end with a rubber or PU bushing, or it needs to be solid steel (solid steel is an NHRA requirement, the bushing is a compromise for the street).

I've always thought their front end stuff might be ok, I've seen some and had some criticism, but also have never heard really bad stuff. Now I wonder about that too.

Your emails seem civil, did you get a bit more upset on the phone?

Member #:115
    Rick, I agree with you on the swaybar, and I didn't even notice they had one. The front mount is a heim, and the rear ones are solid steel.

The reason the customer wants ladder bars is for the nostalgic gasser look. He loves the "Tuff-E-Nuff"gasser so we're trying to mimic that ride height and look. He wants this for a street cruiser, not a race car:

I think I was civil on the phone UNTIL the dick salesman started yelling and calling me a "f-er" and every other name in the book. Then I lost it and gave it right back to him as I said. Then I sent him an e-mail that was "in kind" to his phone call. Up until the phone call, I showed my e-mails above. I didn't say anything else to them. I didn't say anything to Jim Meyer but I forwarded him my e-mail to "Larry" to show him what was going on and said I would fire him if he was my employee treating a customer like that. But he was already watching my e-mails according to "Larry". I also copied him on an e-mail to the customers where I told them I don't care what they do but I would send the junk back and tell them where to stick it. And you saw how Jim Meyer replied.

I don't think I deserved anything like what these guys did. The funny thing is that today the front crossmember and the lower shock spacers and bolts arrived. They're still sitting outside and we have decided to send everything back to this screwed up company and get their money back. I'm glad I didn't pay for it myself, but what if I would have? Would they have treated me differently because then I was "the customer"? So how is it any different if I'm the guy installing the stuff versus the one ordering it? They sent it all to MY address, so am I the customer and my customer is really just the payer? Or is only the guy who actually places the order the customer?

The fact is the guy who ordered the parts is not the payer, his brother Steve (the guy I'm building the HEMI55 frame for) is, and Steve's name is the one on the boxes along with mine with my address. Steve has never even talked to them as far as I know. The guy who ordered the parts just talked to them on the phone and via e-mail along with me. So who is really "the customer"?

These guys are total morons, imo.

I talked to one of my former customers today who bought a clip and rear kit from me. He was looking for advice on a transmission for his car. I mentioned this debacle to him, and he told me about what a local guy he knows in Kentucky said to him when he was looking at frame options for his car. The guy owns a rod shop and he told me that he said "whatever you do don't buy a Jim Meyer frame". So apparently he had some issues with either the people or the product too.
    Last edited by chevynut; 12-18-2014 at 08:14 PM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

I called Earle Williams this morning to discuss this ladder bar project. I explained the relationship between me and the customer, and he understood and has no problem with it. Wow, what a contrast in personalities. Earle is a really nice guy and easy to do business with as far as I can tell. I have his headers on my Nomad and I've seen pics of some of his other parts, and told him I was impressed with his work. He understand what the customer wants a lot better than JMRP and seems much more friendly and flexible.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

What's funny about this mess is that AFTER the whole debacle with Jim Meyer I received the front crossmember and the lower shock mount bolts and spacers the next day. I don't know what else is there, but it's all going back to them anyhow. They never did issue a return tag like they said they would.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

JMRP has been asked to issue a return tag for all of this crap. Two weeks have gone by since they were told the parts are being returned and the parts are still sitting here. They asked for a weight for the parts a week ago and said they'd send a printable label....don't you think they should have that since they shipped the stuff to me? I have seen no such label yet and I assume "printable" means it will come via e-mail. What a screwed up company. If it was my money hanging out there, I'd be on their asses every day until they issued the return tag and refunded my money.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:1608
    Wont be buying anything from them! I do like Earl customer service!

Member #:2052
    Wow! This is horrible and the profanity thrown at you is WAY out of line. Totally unprofessional for a company owner. Shame on you Jim Meyer!

I'll second the comments on Earle. The man was nothing but nice to me... even took the time to answer follow up emails regarding installation concerns.
    - Ron

Current project, '57 2dr ht Belair. LS/4L60E
    Last project, '99 truck w/LS6
    http://s135.photobucket.com/user/tmsron/media/57_zps1339ad8b.jpg.html

Registered Member

Member #:4726

JMRP

I purchased an IFS Suspension from Jim Myer Racing in or around 2002/03. I have been satisfied with it. Now I have some A Arm Bushings that need replaced and don't know where to get them. If anyone knows please advise. It is for a 1955 Chevy.
    Thanks in advance for any possible help.
    BLW

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    might want to start your own thread with question, this one is kind of old.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Member #:3217
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech ll View Post
    I purchased an IFS Suspension from Jim Myer Racing in or around 2002/03. I have been satisfied with it. Now I have some A Arm Bushings that need replaced and don't know where to get them. If anyone knows please advise. It is for a 1955 Chevy.
    Thanks in advance for any possible help.
    BLW
    I assume you've tried to call them? If they can't sell you replacement parts, then you can remove them and measure them and then try to find duplicates.. (I have no knowledge of this company; did they use polyurethane or rubber? If they used rubber, the bushings may have been STOCK TYPE??_ which are available via Moog and others.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12