Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a chrome shop

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    You might be able to find a shop in your area that will just dip the parts in the different tanks when you need it, and you do all the sanding and buffing in between dips.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by LEE T View Post
    You might be able to find a shop in your area that will just dip the parts in the different tanks when you need it, and you do all the sanding and buffing in between dips.
    Thanks Lee but I don't want to get that anal about it, and what a hassle. I doubt they'd even do it (if I could even find one). I have no problem paying the $718 for a 1-piece bumper. I just don't understand why it's $900 to $1500 (you know it won't be $900) just because I've welded on it. There's NO straightening required, only some blocking of the copper and I think that's minimal.

And yes, Rick, I think they're taking advantage. If they weren't they'd start at $718 and add cost IF there are issues with the welds that need to be addressed. I think that would be more reasonable.

Another thing I was told is that they use templates to make sure the bumper is the right shape. I narrowed mine slightly to fit tighter to the body, and I told him I didn't want them re-shaped. All I want is polishing and show chrome plating.
    Last edited by chevynut; 01-13-2015 at 07:10 AM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Your point on the shape is well taken. How can they possibly use a template on a bumper that's been tucked to fit the car a bit more closely?

I just got an estimate from Ogden to plate my 8 pieces of windshield trim that are already chrome plated and in very nice condition but they need re-chromed to have the shine I want. I removed the parts from the car in the mid 70's and they've been in dry storage. That's the 2 a-pillar pieces, the 4 upper and lower long pieces, and the two small caps in the center. The low end of the range runs $800 and the high end about $1000. Does that sound reasonable or at least the going rate? Warren said he got all his interior trim for his 57 done for $650.

Advanced plating hasn't even answered my question about plating an OEM one-piece bumper and Sherm's hasn't replied to me at all. I think Advanced Plating's pricing is absurd at 3 times that of Ogden's, but if they can get it good for them.

This chroming is going to be a lot more expensive than I thought it was going to be.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:2017
    You need to find a plater in need of a C4 conversion in his trifive... Do some horse trading..
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Registered Member

Member #:571
    You need to find a plater in need of a C4 conversion in his trifive
    At the prices they're charging, they probably collect Ferraris, not trivfive Chevys. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    At the prices they're charging, they probably collect Ferraris, not trivfive Chevys. LOL
    Isn't that the truth?

I am convinced a guy needs "show chrome" on a bumper because it's so large and prominent part of the car. For a driver, "street chrome" is probably fine.

However, for some parts, like interior pieces, I am not convinced that "show chrome" is even necessary. The parts aren't that big, and small defects would probably go un-noticed. My belief is you'd probably get something equivalent to "show chrome" anyhow on an undamaged, un-pitted near-perfect piece of interior trim that just needs re-plated.

Turns out Ogden picks up in Denver every month. That probably saves them a lot in shipping cost if they get a large order. If I can talk them into pricing mine as a 1-piece bumper I might try one of my bumpers with them to see how it turns out...both the quality and the cost. If it's good I will send my other bumper too. They drive almost right past my house.

On the interior trim, I might send it all to Al's Plating or someplace like that, even with the shipping cost. I've heard good things about Al's, here and elsewhere. I just can't see spending $3000-3500 on re-plating my chrome interior trim when it's in such good shape. If my windshield trim is $800-1000, the upper quarter window and upper liftgate trim is certainly $1200-1400, then I have 7 headliner bows that will probably run $1200-1500 at Ogden. That's just crazy.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:611
    Had "Superior Chrome" in San Jose CA, (408) 947-7781
    Had all the interior pieces done except the bows for $1500.00. (21 pieces) He want's to see the part before he quotes you a price. The person you need to talk to is Mark. They did a great job. Hope this help. Mahalo

Thanks Hawaiian, that's more in the price range I would have expected for the interior pieces. You must have done the beltline molding too, which is not normally chrome, to get to 21 pieces. So if I included the bows it wouldn't be that much more. I see they offer different levels of chrome too...did you get show chrome or their standard plating?

I still haven't heard a word from Sherm's Plating. I guess they're too busy to communicate with potential customers or they're afraid of a "welded" bumper.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:611
    Yes you right, I also did the belt line molding. It was done all in show chrome. At a later date I did one headliner bow, for $120.00. I am still working on the wiring at this time, so I did not install the parts yet.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast