Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a chrome shop

Member #:611
    I take it back, i think it was standard chrome. But looking at the parts it was a great job. I don't think you can see the difference. The only think you might see is the cost. Mahalo my friend and LOL:

Member #:115
    Finally got a reply back from Sherm's and they want $1250 and up (depending on level of work) to do my bumpers, plus shipping both ways. So Advanced Plating and Sherm's are both out. Ogden is looking pretty good if I can get them to consider this a "1-piece bumper" not a "modified" bumper.

So now I'm looking at $1050 plus shipping both ways to chrome my liftgate (Madmooks). Probably around $900 for each bumper, and $1500-2000 for the interior trim. Then I still have my window frames and a few other odds and ends that I'm sure I'll find. That's around $5K just for chrome.

Glad all the exterior trim on these cars is stainless. I bought all my die cast stuff new, and I'm sure it was less than re-chroming them....far less.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:771
    I used superior chrome in San Jose to do my smoothie bumpers,$1400 for the pair.I got the same story from ogden was told at a Good guys event they would cost 700-800 per bumper then when I called them to do them was told they would start at $1500 per and go up from there. They are a little hesitant to do them but when they saw how well I finished mine they were willing to take them and I mig welded mine you tig welded yours so you don't have any pits to fill. I was very impressed when I got them back they looked Great. When i picked them up i told The old guy that does all the straightning he did an awesome job and he told me it was because of how close I got them, he had shown me a 56 smoothie front bumper that someone had brought in and it was a wreck. I've seen your pictures of your bumpers and they look every bit as nice as mine and are probably nicer do to you tig welding them. Mark is the guy you need to talk to there he works kind of strange hours, he gets in at 2pm and works until 7-8 pm. Their # 408-947-7781 Good luck

Thanks Brian, if I can't get Ogden to do mine for the price of an OEM smoothie I may check into Superior. I'd have to add proably $300-400 for shipping costs. That's where Ogden works out good for me.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Finally got a reply back from Sherm's and they want $1250 and up (depending on level of work) to do my bumpers, plus shipping both ways. So Advanced Plating and Sherm's are both out. Ogden is looking pretty good if I can get them to consider this a "1-piece bumper" not a "modified" bumper.

So now I'm looking at $1050 plus shipping both ways to chrome my liftgate (Madmooks). Probably around $900 for each bumper, and $1500-2000 for the interior trim. Then I still have my window frames and a few other odds and ends that I'm sure I'll find. That's around $5K just for chrome.

Glad all the exterior trim on these cars is stainless. I bought all my die cast stuff new, and I'm sure it was less than re-chroming them....far less.
    All the hi end nomads I've seen at major car events that had a modern interior like your planning just painted everything and ditched all the chrome and stainless on the interior. I always figured they just like the look better. I guess I know why now. It's cheaper.

Rocky, actually I've considered painting my interior trim. But I decided I like the stock look with painted beltline trim and chrome upper trim, with the chrome bows. My interior guy wants to cover my beltline trim in leather.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:755
    Got my window frames back from Al's. They look great.
    shipping cost to them was just over $50. Cost was $650 inc. return shipping.
    So I ended up at $700 with shipping both ways.
    Have a tri5 friend in the KC area that found a shop in one of the southern states that had fair pricing. I didn't keep the info because shipping was further than Al's in Ft. Worth.
    I'll get the info from him again and post it.

Warren, good to hear your window trim turned out so nice. I got estimates to do my interior trim from Ogden, and I think it's pretty outrageous at $115-125 a piece for show chrome. My trim is in excellent condition, it's just that the chrome looks 50 years old so it's a little dull. They really don't need to do much but strip the chrome and nickel, maybe plate some copper, polish, and re-plate. There are no pits at all in any of my trim. I'll probably just go with standard chrome for the interior stuff. I really can't see paying the extra when it's probably going to turn out the same anyhow.

These guys seem to want to charge you as if your bumpers and trim are all trashed, and I'm sure some are. I talked to Madmooks about doing my liftgate recently, and he told me that it's a flat rate regardless of condition. I know his plater probably does the best job in the country, and I plan to use him on this critical part, but it seems like I'm subsidizing the guys who send pitted liftgates that need a lot of filling, while mine is in great shape. Mine hasn't been outdoors since 1973.

I am waiting for one more quote on doing my bumpers, then I'll choose the plater. Madmook Mike had some amazing work done by his plater on a 5-piece bumper and he's getting me a quote to do my smoothies. A one-piece OEM bumper is usually cheaper to plate than a 3-piece, and it should certainly be less than a 5-piece. I just hope he doesn't start in with the "it's welded" BS. Then I have to factor in shipping costs both ways.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:755
    Charging more because it's "modified" is BS. I guess they don't know what a perfectionist you are ��. I have seen your bumpers and they are perfect, needing no work. In fact, you likely have save them hours of buffing.
    We can Thank the f'n EPA for this BS. They have driven everyone out of business in this country.
    I know a couple guys with family ties in Mexico. I am going to see if they can hook us up with anyone that can do quality work at a non-EPA price.
    We just need to get a line on an alternative to high cost shipping!

Also, check out www.knoxcustomchrome.com
    My friend in Kansas tells me their pricing is similar to Al's and their work is good.

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Warren, good to hear your window trim turned out so nice. I got estimates to do my interior trim from Ogden, and I think it's pretty outrageous at $115-125 a piece for show chrome. My trim is in excellent condition, it's just that the chrome looks 50 years old so it's a little dull. They really don't need to do much but strip the chrome and nickel, maybe plate some copper, polish, and re-plate. There are no pits at all in any of my trim. I'll probably just go with standard chrome for the interior stuff. I really can't see paying the extra when it's probably going to turn out the same anyhow.

These guys seem to want to charge you as if your bumpers and trim are all trashed, and I'm sure some are. I talked to Madmooks about doing my liftgate recently, and he told me that it's a flat rate regardless of condition. I know his plater probably does the best job in the country, and I plan to use him on this critical part, but it seems like I'm subsidizing the guys who send pitted liftgates that need a lot of filling, while mine is in great shape. Mine hasn't been outdoors since 1973.

I am waiting for one more quote on doing my bumpers, then I'll choose the plater. Madmook Mike had some amazing work done by his plater on a 5-piece bumper and he's getting me a quote to do my smoothies. A one-piece OEM bumper is usually cheaper to plate than a 3-piece, and it should certainly be less than a 5-piece. I just hope he doesn't start in with the "it's welded" BS. Then I have to factor in shipping costs both ways.
    Last edited by warren57; 02-10-2015 at 03:09 PM. Reason: More info

Registered Member

Member #:328
    might try http://www.customchromeplating.com/ Jon Wright. Not close to you. They do high end stuff. Their name is often found in high end builds in Street Rodder etc. Two grades of chroming. See the website if nothing else.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast