Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: C4 Frame Project

Member #:3217
    Great job... again.. Brian! Great looking '55 and super that you are continuing to preserve it and make it better..

Member #:2442
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    Great job... again.. Brian! Great looking '55 and super that you are continuing to preserve it and make it better..
    Thanks, It's been a continuous project for over 40 years now and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Back to the 50's 2017

Great show as it always is, count I heard on Saturday was 11,600 some cars registered. The weather was a bit on the cool side this year but that was probably good for people without a lot of shade where they park. Our spot is pretty shady which is usually a good thing, this year not so much.
    Here is a few of the pictures I took.

My sons 59 Mercury, my 55 and our friends 57 which he just got back on the road with an Art Morrison frame on Friday morning.

This was built from a 59 or 60 El Camino

Kindigit was there again this year with cars from Bitchin Rides. The Nomad is pretty awesome in person.

This one came from a dealership in Nebraska that was never sold. Only had 2.6 miles on the odometer.

My wife loves Studebakers so I had to get a few pictures since she couldn't make it to the show this year.

Pretty cool Lincoln.

I think this was a 53 Mercury. Pretty cool car. We looked a quite at few cars this year and did not see another 59 Mercury like my son's. You couldn't walk very far without seeing a tri-five Chevy though. I'd guess close to 25 to 30% of the cars there were tri-fives.
    Brian

Wow... That's a LARGE show... over 11,000 cars! Did you see them all?

PS. That '59 El Camino custom was radically wild...

Wow... That's a LARGE show... over 11,000 cars! Did you see them all?

PS. That '59 El Camino custom was radically wild...
    We walked around looking at cars more than usual this year and I doubt we saw even half of what is there. It's a show you don't want to miss if you live in the upper Midwest. The St. Paul fairgrounds are the best grounds for a car show I have ever been to also.

Member #:530
    11,600 entries? Geez that's big. Makes me want to jump on a plane and check it out some year. Thanks for posting those pics.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

New Brakes and Wheels

So on the way to one of the last car shows of the season around here (late September) I had a deer run across the road in front of me. Luckily it wasn't to close to hitting the deer but it left me feeling like I wish I had better brakes even though they are pretty good. So I made a decision to order a set of Power Stop slotted and cross drilled rotors with the Z23 pads. The Z23 carbon ceramic pads are supposed to have 20% better braking power. The pads I have been using since I did the C4 Conversion are the original pads in front and cheap replacement pads on the rear that are horrible in regards to brake dust.
    So as long as I was on a roll with the brake project I decided to look at different wheels as well. After looking at some C6 & C7 Corvette wheels on ebay. There were a some that looked nice but being that the ones that would work on my car with adapters on the rear, but most were 18" fronts and 19" rears which would also mean new tires so I decided against that plan. What I ended up getting was a set of C6 replica wheels from OE Wheels that are available in several different diameters and offsets as well as the same size and offset as my 90 Vette wheels. This way I was able to use my current 17" tires.

After receiving the wheels and test fitting the bare wheels I was only getting about 5 1/2 turns on the lug nuts with the stock wheel studs on the front and only about 3 on the rear with the 3/16" spacers I need on the rear. Not nearly enough to be safe. The new wheels turned out to be about 1/8" thicker than the 90 Corvette wheels. So longer wheel studs were needed. After some searching on the internet I came up with studs that are 1/2" longer than stock so they will now be plenty long enough and I have at least 1/4" to spare before the lug nuts I will have bottom out on the studs on the front where there is no spacers.
    The studs I found are Dorman part number 610-323 which is a stock replacent on many GM vehicles including 2013 to 2017 Cadillac ATS's. Available at just about any auto parts store (I had to go to 3 to get 20 studs)

A shot with the front rotors installed.

And with the caliper and pads installed.

Rear rotor, caliper, pads and 3/16" spacer installed.

And a few shots with the new wheels on the car.

For sure a completely different look. After bedding in the brakes following the directions with the Power Stop pads (5 stops from 40 to 10 then 5 stops from 35 to 5, then 5 minutes of driving without stopping to cool the brakes) I did a couple of hard stops from about 60 mph to test the difference. I have to say I was pleased with the results. Stopping distance is much improved, easily 20% as advertised or better. Over the winter I may swap out my 7" power booster for an 8" or 9" dual booster for even better brakes. You can never have brakes that are to good!!!

And the added benefit of the new wheels is being able to see the nice new rotors through the wheel.
    (the right front in this shot)
    Brian

Great writeup and photos, Doug! Be careful you don't throw YOURSELF thru the windshield..!

and let us know how the new pads wear and 'dust' once you get some miles on them...

Great writeup and photos, Be careful you don't throw YOURSELF thru the windshield..!

and let us know how the new pads wear and 'dust' once you get some miles on them...
    Had the 55 out for a ride today. Amazing how much better the brakes are with basically just a pad change.
    I will let you know how they are for brake dust when I get a few more miles on them. Unfortunately that probably won't be until spring as driving season up here in Wisconsin is quickly coming to an end, although it has been a pretty nice fall up here so far the extended forecast for next week doesn't look good.
    Brian

Brian! My apologies for referencing you as 'doug' in my earlier response... no idea where my brain was at the time~

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast