Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: C4 Frame Project

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Then what do you call it smart ass when you contract with banks, hospitals and governmental etc. for services. Its a lot moor complicated than cleaning a driveway.
    pro·fes·sion
    prəˈfeSHən/
    noun
    noun: profession; plural noun: professions
    a paid occupation, especially one that involves prolonged training and a formal qualification.

How many years of "college" did it take to get your "snow-plowing diploma"?

I contract with Waste Management so I guess according to you they're garbage picker-upper "professionals".
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:2442

I did a small project last week. I bought a couple of longer 10" bolts (1/2 grade 8) from Fastenal to lower the back of my 55 an inch or so. Pretty simple project to just replace the stock 9" long bolts that tie the spring to the rear hub carriers to lower the rear of the car. Also got some repro center caps for the Corvette wheels to finish them off.

First picture is how my car sat before I did the C4 frame conversion.

This picture is before I started the frame I set my car on blocks at the ride height I was shooting for.

This is from a few weeks ago with my new tires, before lowering the rear end and no center caps yet.

A few shots today lowered in the rear and the new center caps installed.

In the end I think it ended pretty close to what I was going for.
    Brian

Member #:3217
    The car and stance looks great, Brian... but I'm also interested in how your car runs/drives, esp with the 9.5" front wheels...

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    The car and stance looks great, Brian... but I'm also interested in how your car runs/drives, esp with the 9.5" front wheels...
    12 hour drive but might be worth your time. Road trip!

Member #:115
    Hey Brian, how do your rear halfshafts sit now? Are they level? Car looks great.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    It drives great. Everything feels tight and stable and tracks nice and straight
    down the road. The steering is super quick compared to stock although that takes
    a little bit to get used to. Handling wise I don't think it's quite as good as a
    Corvette (but it's pretty close) because the center a gravity is higher. I would
    say it rides smoother that a Corvette though because of the longer wheelbase.
    You still feel like you are driving a Classic Chevy, (because you don't sit as
    low in the seat as a Corvette), just a Classic Chevy that handles way way
    better. I am very happy with the results and would do it again for sure. I have no problem with the 9 1/2" wheels on the front but would probably go with a 9" wheel on the front if I was buying a new set as the 9 1/2" wheel is the max. width for my 255/40/17 tires.

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Hey Brian, how do your rear halfshafts sit now? Are they level? Car looks great.
    Thanks, I think the halfshafts are close to level with the longer bolts. I know they point down a bit the outside at stock ride height on our Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by NCW View Post
    12 hour drive but might be worth your time. Road trip!
    Summer is a great time to come to Wisconsin!!! Car show season is just getting started

Registered Member Recycled Rumor's Avatar

Member #:3391
    Agreed, I grew up just south of eau Claire, I live in Rochester now.

Member #:3217
    Quote Originally Posted by Custer55 View Post
    It drives great. Everything feels tight and stable and tracks nice and straight
    down the road. The steering is super quick compared to stock although that takes
    a little bit to get used to. Handling wise I don't think it's quite as good as a
    Corvette (but it's pretty close) because the center a gravity is higher. I would
    say it rides smoother that a Corvette though because of the longer wheelbase.
    You still feel like you are driving a Classic Chevy, (because you don't sit as
    low in the seat as a Corvette), just a Classic Chevy that handles way way
    better. I am very happy with the results and would do it again for sure. I have no problem with the 9 1/2" wheels on the front but would probably go with a 9" wheel on the front if I was buying a new set as the 9 1/2" wheel is the max. width for my 255/40/17 tires.
    I appreciate your comments Brian! your thoughts mirror my own driving impressions when I drove Billy Dawson's '55 sedan on his chassis.. a great ride..

One set of wheels I'm looking at that appears they might work are the Hurst Dazzlers: on the Rear with 17x9 with 45 mm offset; they also have 17x8 with 19 mm OS for the front. They minimally meet the requirements using CN's wheel calculators.

ie. 225-45/17 on the 17x8 wheels in front (19 mm OS) and
    255-40/17 on the 17x9 wheels in back (45 mm OS)...

With the gold emblem accents on a '57 BelAir, do you think the gold Hurst Dazzlers would look OK? What do you guys think?
    Gold Dazzler on Nomad.jpg

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast