Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LS oil pan advice needed

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Question where did the fact that OP has a lowered car come from, I seriously doubt a GMPP pan hangs as low as my notched BBC Moroso pan. My stock height car has no issues with dragging parts.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    It didn't. Thing is most guys that want an LS do lower their car. Have you ever seen a "gasser" with an LS engine? I haven't either. The other half of it is that he didn't say it was stock ride height.

The H3 pan will work at stock ride height, but it hangs way below the crossmember, so it's a hazard even if the risk is lower. And more of a hazard than a stock pan on a traditional engine on a car with stock ride height.

Registered Member

Member #:2294
    Yeah, I meant Street and Performance for S&P.
    I originally bought the pan S&P casts and machines in-house (at least that's what they told me). However the machinine was horrendous on the gasketed surfaces. They sent me another pan and all they did was take a DA sander to the gasket surfaces, I was not satisfied as the surfaces were no longer flat nor were all the deep machining marke gone.
    I used S&P's mounts (which locate the engine pretty close to the firewall) and did a fitup with the S&P pan, it did fit really well but still wasn't about to take the risk for leaks.
    So now I'm gun shy and no has been able to give me a good feeling on which pan will work best for my application. Sounds like the Holley pan might be the ticket if the engine is back far enough.
    CPP did get back to me on the Mast LS (#401-111) pan they sell and told me there should be no issues for my combination and have sold many without a hitch.
    My biggest concern is that the Mast pan does not include the two lower mounting holes for the bellhousing. They are telling me that is not a problem, but GM designed it that way for reason.

Registered Member

Member #:238
    I have had an S&P modified F-body pan and the Holley version. The S&P was a bit of a hack job.
    It would have probably worked okay but was slightly warped from welding and ugly as
    sin. The Holley has great workmanship and fit perfectly. I liked the Holley pan so much I ordered the optional road racing baffling system.
    I can send you photos if you need them.

Idea: Order your Holley pan from Summit or Jegs and if it doesn't fit they will take it back, no problem.
    1955 Bel-Air Convertible
    1956 150 2 Door Sedan

Registered Member

Member #:2294
    Hey Geoff, thanks for the info. I did place an order last week with CPP for the Holley pan, really glad to hear about the quality and fit up. Would love to see pic's if you got 'em.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123