Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: We have LIFTOFF!

Member #:115

We have LIFTOFF!

I got my e-brake setup figured out today and couldn't think of any other reason to delay removing the body from the frame. I made sure everything was disconnected, set up the chains and engine hoists, and lifted the body up a little. I had the tires sitting on blocks so I lowered them back to the ground and lifted the body to clear the frame and rolled it away.

I made a "harness" for the front so the chains wouldn't mess up my cowl braces. When I put the body back on I'll cover the spreader bar I put on it and the lower chains so they can't damage the firewall paint. In the rear I had some brackets I made that bolt to the tailgate hinge holes, and I attached chains to them.

Here's the front lifting harness:

20150317_003.jpg

Here's the two hoists...the arms are barely long enough:

20150317_004.jpg

The frame was filthy with all the dust and crap from years of work in the shop:

20150317_006.jpg 20150317_008.jpg 20150317_009.jpg

Finally, the body is on jackstands again where I can continue working on the interior stuff, some other details, and more priming.

20150317_013.jpg

Next I need to focus on making the frame modifications I want, tie up a few details on it, and finish priming and sanding it. Then it's going on the rotisserie I modified, and heading for the paint shop.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:530
    Woo hoo! Progress.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    nice work. ........... what you do after lunch?
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Cool stuff!!! what are you using for lift points on the rear of the body?

Member #:115
    Rocky, I made some simple L-brackets that I bolted to the tailgate hinge holes. The chains attach to the vertical legs of the brackets. During frame construction I had the body on and off what seemed like a dozen or more times, so this wasn't something I haven't done before.

20150304_003.jpg

It works pretty well like this and one guy can do it by himself if he's careful. I've done it by myself every time. One thing you need to be careful of is chain length so you don't run out of hoist reach. Also, as the hoist arm goes up the body gets closer to the hoist upright and can hit it if you're not careful. I had the chains a little too long in the rear and almost ran into a problem there. I didn't use a spreader in the rear and I don't think it's necessary.

Putting the body on is fairly easy too if you take is slow and watch clearances as you lower it. I personally think it's more controllable and safe than having 4-6 guys trying to muscle it onto the frame. I plan to have another person there to help guide the body down when the painted body goes onto the painted frame.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Thanks, hopefully I'll be taking my body off soon.

Member #:1608
    Looking forward to seeing the progress

Member #:755
    Awesome! You have been busy...

Member #:2709
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    I got my e-brake setup figured out today and couldn't think of any other reason to delay removing the body from the frame. I made sure everything was disconnected, set up the chains and engine hoists, and lifted the body up a little. I had the tires sitting on blocks so I lowered them back to the ground and lifted the body to clear the frame and rolled it away.

I made a "harness" for the front so the chains wouldn't mess up my cowl braces. When I put the body back on I'll cover the spreader bar I put on it and the lower chains so they can't damage the firewall paint. In the rear I had some brackets I made that bolt to the tailgate hinge holes, and I attached chains to them.

Here's the front lifting harness:

Here's the two hoists...the arms are barely long enough:

The frame was filthy with all the dust and crap from years of work in the shop:

Finally, the body is on jackstands again where I can continue working on the interior stuff, some other details, and more priming.

Next I need to focus on making the frame modifications I want, tie up a few details on it, and finish priming and sanding it. Then it's going on the rotisserie I modified, and heading for the paint shop.

Hey Chevynut, I see you're making progress, awesome! If you remember we had the high pressure pump and fuel tank chat. I'm looking at your 56 Nomad fuel tank and I'm wondering if my 55 2 dr sedan has the same flat top to add a high pressure pump assembly from tanks inc or FAST? I may try to keep the OE tank and use the drain hole the feed a container which could house the pump then through a fuel filter up to front. Then use the OE feed out of the sender as a return. As Rick_L mentioned there's a vent in the seat where the gas cap screws on. I got a lot of things to buy on limited funds... Your thoughts? Thanks in advance!!!

Buy the way what color r u painting the Nomad?