Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Headers for my 57 chevy 1/2 ton pu

Registered Member

Member #:2494
    BAM55....after these great pics there's no doubt anymore if they would fit or not....really appreciate the effort...the steering linkage pic is a bonus and is on my what to do next list....is this ceramic coating something that's worth the extra money .... I have had 0 experience with header coatings....thanks again...Ray

Member #:524
    Well if you want them to look nice and some added protection I would get the ceramic coating. But you did say you were on a budget so its your call.

Registered Member

Bam.....just a thanks for all the help......Ray

Member #:524
    Thats what we are here for buddy. Post a build thread when your ready.

Registered Member

Just an update on the headers I just received.....well they fit in there just fine but the plugs on #1 and #7 with the boots ...either 90 deg. or straight ...hit the header tubing...the passenger side has clearance on all the plugs.....if the tubing where bent the same both sides they would fit perfect.....and from what I can see, that could have very easily have been done....I'm a pipefitter by trade and did lots of pipe bending over the years. The other item folks should know is if you pick the high temp. paint model of the 3 available finishes....the instructions tell you to sand blast the headers....clean with acetone....and repaint with high temp. paint because the paint is just to keep the metal from rusting....hard to figure that when the description said high temp. paint. So I called a tech at summit and he said no matter what they are painted with they will rust.....I guess he should know. Now I have to pay return shipping and summit will determine if the issue was theirs or mine before they will reimburse me for shipping. So I guess I'm back to O and will start looking again.....disappointed in their description of their product. Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone looking at that product. thanks.........Ray

Member #:115
    Cadillac, what did you expect the paint to do besides keeping the headers from rusting? If you really want to protect them, buy the ceramic coated ones or have them ceramic coated at a place like Jet Hot. It's cheaper to buy them already coated but I'm not sure of the quality of the coating they use.
    Good luck finding a set that fits the way you want them to.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:2442
    Take a look at Sanderson Headers. They cost bit more but the quality is very good. I put a set of their ceramic coated block huggers on my 55 a few years ago and they still look great. You don't even need gaskets with their headers, just a small bead of black RTV silicone. I have had no issues with exhaust leaks with just the silicone either.
    Brian

Registered Member

chevynut.....I understand about paint protecting metal from rust.....my point was... why when they say in the ad that it's high temp. paint... BUT...the instructions that comes with the headers says you should sand blast their high temp.paint off...clean with acetone and reapply more high temp paint .....didn't understand that.
    Last edited by Country Cadillac; 04-20-2015 at 07:39 AM.

Registered Member

Custer 55...Appreciate the info and will give them a look today......Ray

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12