Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: More interior work done

Member #:530
    Are you sure?? Did you eliminate the rear seat and rear cargo floor (which used marine grade plywood originally)???
    Bama,
    I have eliminated the stock rear folding seat, and will be fabricating a steel seatback "bulkhead compartment" that seperates the rear cargo area from the seat back. That's where the battery, stereo amp, storage, etc will be. The cargo floor area is now much smaller. I have removed the spare tire compartment, and covered the whole floor with a piece of flat sheet metal (welded in).

I plan to use double sided velcro with one side sewn onto the back of the carpet, and the other side sticking (adhesive) to the metal floor. Just some strips in areas to hold the carpet down. I haven't decided if I should spend the $ to get polished stainless trim for the edges, or just have the carpet edges sewn with a banding strip of material.

Laszlo, I'm not knocking your use of wood. It just surprised me to see it in your pics...given all the other custom metal work you've done with your interior. I just figured you'd make the seat bottoms and seat backs out of metal too. Carry on.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:3217
    Do you have photos of your rearseat??

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    Laszlo, I'm not knocking your use of wood. It just surprised me to see it in your pics...given all the other custom metal work you've done with your interior. I just figured you'd make the seat bottoms and seat backs out of metal too. Carry on.
    I kinda figured that if Kindig and all the other high end builders can use wood/MDF for their consoles and seats, I can too. Wood takes up a lot of space in a console, steel is heavy, so I built mine out of aluminum. My rear seat frame is aluminum and the only wood there is the seat boards which will be covered. I don't know how you'd use steel for them because they'd have sharp edges that would cut the covering unless you formed the edges, and it would make them heavy if you used thick enough steel to keep them from bending. I'm curious how you plan to make the rear seat. I guess you could use a stock rear seat from another car and make it fit.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    Do you have photos of your rearseat??
    Is that for me or Paul? I already posted mine above.....here again.

20170606_011.JPG

IMG_6880.jpeg
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Yes, I've seen yours Laszlo, but can't recall ever seeing what Paul did to his rear seat and cargo...?

Member #:530
    There's nothing fabbed up back there at the moment. Its all in my head at this point. But it will resemble a frame like Laszlo's and then covered in (probably) sheet metal. I do have rear seat back and bottom (moulded foam) out of the same 90s era lexus that my front seats came out of. Not yet sure if I'll use those, or the mid 2010's GTO "rear bucket seats" that I also have. The GTO seats have a very high back with built in headrest, so they may not work with the lower height of the Nomad design for the back seat area.
    You guys are alot farther ahead on your builds that I am.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Thanks for the update Paul... So you've been driving your Nomad as a '2 seat sports car'..

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213