Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooling at idle issue

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Ed if you can fit the 6 blade, curved tip fan in the space you have, that's probably the best you can do for a fan.

I agree with Cnut, you should go for a shroud too. There are shrouds available for the V8 radiator setup. You may have to cut on it to make it clear everything.

If that fails, get over the hangup of the radiator location and look. Put a crossflow and dual electric puller fans on it and enjoy your car.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I have to agree with Cnut on the Shroud, they have been good for up to 20 degree drop at idle in my experience.

Member #:1608
    Make sure part of the fan blades are in the actual shroud. I have seen guys with both and there is a huge gap between the fan and shroud and still runs hot! Move the fan closer and fixes their problem.

Member #:115
    Good point JT. I think the fan should be at least halfway into the shroud for maximum effectiveness.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:2442
    I have suffered with the same issue on my 55 until recently getting it under control. I put in a better radiator (original style Dessert Cooler), electric pusher fan, fan shroud, electronic ignition with vacuum advance (Didn't do anything with the cooling but at least the engine would keep running with the temp over 220). All of these helped somewhat, but the thing that got things under control was a better flex fan with more aggressive blades. I also put on ceramic coated headers recently which has helped also. It seems the problem is the hot air just staying in the engine compartment when sitting at idle. If anyone has a car with a louvered hood, inner fenders, or even running the car without a hood it would be interesting to hear about their cooling history.
    Thanks, Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Custer55 View Post
    It seems the problem is the hot air just staying in the engine compartment when sitting at idle.
    I have a hard time believing under-hood temps would affect the engine cooling that much. Most of the engine heat is rejected from the radiator, not the block. Also, the fan should be pushing hot air down and out of the engine compartment as more air is brought in. As long as the hot air isn't circulating back to the front of the radiator it shouldn't have much effect. This is one downside to the aftermarket hood braces with the holes cut in them. It can allow hot air to circulate back to the front of the radiator. The factory solid baffle was there for a reason.

The key to good cooling is to reduce the thermal resistance between the engine and coolant, and between the coolant and radiator surfaces for maximum heat transfer between them. That means the engine cooling passages and inside of the radiator need to be clean. You want high coolant flow rate to keep the radiator as hot as possible for maximum heat rejection and as much cool air as you can push/pull through it.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:2442
    Makes sense, I was just wondering if the design of the trifive chevy engine compartment doesn't allow enough air to flow through when the car is not moving since it seems like many of us have the same problem.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Custer55 View Post
    I was just wondering if the design of the trifive chevy engine compartment doesn't allow enough air to flow through when the car is not moving since it seems like many of us have the same problem.
    Brian
    The tri5 engine compartment is a LOT more open and free-flowing than just about any new car is. There's a ton of room for air to escape.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:1608
    I would say the different grills might have an effect on the amount of air one gets. The 55 grill seems smaller than a 56?

Laszlo I think the solid hood support directs the incoming air going across the radiator instead of over it? I have not seen any flow models or data to support that...just looks that way to me.

JT, I think all the tri5 grilles are so big that it doesn't really make any difference from one year to the other, and in reality they're close to the same size IMO. I just don't think any of the grilles are an air restriction.

The solid hood support (brace) probably doesn't have a lot to do with directing air through the radiator at highway speeds. There's a lot of airflow at that time and the hot air is escaping out from under the car, plus the fan is working well to pull air through the radiator. At low speeds, with high under-hood temperatures, I think the solid brace prevents hot air from being pulled forward and back through the radiator by the fan. Same with the side baffles next to the radiator, and the one on the bottom of the radiator. I have holes in my hood brace but I also have a radiator cover so all the air going through my radiator has to come through the grille.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast