Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooling at idle issue

Member #:2442
    Chevynut, When you mentioned the hood braces with the holes I remembered my hood brace has the cut for the 6 cylinder radiator (Original 6 cyl car). Do you think It would help to block off this opening?
    Thanks for all the info. Brian
    IMG_20150513_073546.jpgIMG_20150513_073557.jpg

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I filled this on mine, but I did it for looks rather than function.

That small hole isn't going to make a measurable difference. There are quite a few that run the open baffles successfully, but that would be a concern to me. Often when you have a problem, it's not one glaring item, but a collection of small details that need fixing.

Member #:115
    I agree with Rick. That small opening is probably not a big deal, but you could block it temporarily and see if it changes anything.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:2442
    I'll give a try and let you know what happens.
    Thanks,

Member #:2285
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    If a good fan and shroud doesn't fix the problem, and you don't want to change the down-flow style radiator, I'd be looking at the condition of the radiator, water pump, fan, shroud, and just making sure everything you have is working the way it should and with maximum air flowing through the radiator. You might also take a look at your pulley ratio to make sure there's nothing weird going on there, causing the water pump to turn too slow. There are better down-flow radiators that don't cost as much as a crossflow too.
    Just thought I would give you guys and update: I installed the GM 6-blade fan and it def. helped VS. what i had. Seems to be MUCH more air moving now. I drove it about 20+ miles or so and while going down the road, she was running less than the 180 degree thermostat, i pulled over a few times and just let it sit and idle..... the temp hand still rises, but NOT as FAST or as FAR. Now it seems to top out at about 205 --- 210 after sitting at idle for around 10min. --- I THINK a good fan shroud will get me close enough.... but we will see.

I also spoke with a worker at the Radiator shop, and he said "a few of the flues had to be plugged off"..... something i was NOT told by the guy that took my money. I have another original style Radiator (out of an old parts car) i thought about getting cleaned out.... but perhaps an Aluminum replacement would be better. So now that's on my list.

Thanks to EVERYONE who took time to post and share pics / info, i now have several more things to check (like the hood support, never would i have thought about that) ---- You guys are the BEST!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I have to agree with Cnut on the Shroud, they have been good for up to 20 degree drop at idle in my experience.
    Thanks Mark & Cnut,
    I hope that's right about the shroud, because it sounds like my next item and from todays test.... i hope that gets me where i need to be.

What poundage Radiator cap should be on it? It currently has a 13# but i'm not sure that's the right one.

Member #:115
    If I understand it correctly, the stock radiator cap was 7 PSI. The GM manual says the stock radiator is rated at 7.5 psi and if you use a higher pressure cap you might blow the heater core because that seems to be a weak component. Modern high pressure caps are usually 16 psi, so I think I'd leave your 13 psi one alone if it's working right. The only thing a higher pressure does is raise the boiling point of the coolant.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:1608
    Consult with vendor...I have a PRC unit and its 15lbs. They have original style ones in aluminum, so check them out! Good people

Update : Problem seems to be solved with addition of custom shroud. I made and installed one today, moved radiator as close (about 3/4") to the 18 1/4" manual fan as it would go, set shroud opening @ 1/2 the fan blade and took her out for a 30 mile test run. Now she runs under 180 going down the road and when I got back, I pulled up next to shop doors (reduced air flow, as if in traffic) and let it idle for 10+ minutes solid and it never go over 190. And that was after me running her pretty hard on the way back. I still would like to replace the radiator, as it appears pretty rough, I have feeling it's days are numbered.

Thanks again to all those who took time to share thoughts and offer suggestions,,,, YOU are appreciated!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast