Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Cooling at idle issue

Registered Member Recycled Rumor's Avatar

Member #:3391
    It might be hard to tell, but the middle picture taken from above, you can see that I have almost no room between the frame and the fan right now. I hope I can find something that fits and works.

Member #:3217
    You have several issues preventing your car's coolant from being cooled...

1. If the air which is being drawn thru the radiator has 'no place to go' (because the space behind the radiator is full of 'other stuff'), then there will be LESS air moving thru the radiator - regardless of which fans/shroud/etc that you use...
    2) The HOOD is a necessary part of your cooling system, as it prevent hot engine air from circulating OVER the radiator support to be drawn back into the front side of the radiator. The system is designed to pull 'cooler air' from the front of the car, in thru the grill, and thru the radiator into the engine compartment...

Well, installing a hood isn't an option at this point. I would have to fabricate a mounting system while simultaneously figuring out a way to stiffen the hood itself. I've never heard anybody say that putting a hood on a car will help with cooling it, everything that I have read has stated the opposite. That being said, you raise a valid point.

Member #:3217
    You said your overheating issue was at 'idle'.. so I assume while stopped, which is the situation that the hot engine air would be recirculated thru the radiator with the hood missing... I think you are running into the same issues someone faces when trying to convert a 'drag only' car to a street car. If that is your goal, I'd suggest removing some of the 'drag only' items that are inhibiting your street performance..

Member #:115
    Personally I doubt the lack of a hood is causing any problem. The air is being pulled through the radiator and back to the engine, where it goes up into the ambient air. I have a hard time believing it would circulate to the front of the radiator when it can rise freely out of the engine compartment. The problem, imo, is lack of airflow over the entire core. The single fan doesn't pull air through the entire radiator core when sitting still, but air moves through the area not covered by the fan when driving.

Increasing coolant flow may help some, but you need to get air through the radiator to dissipate the heat. If the Spal dual 11" fans will fit, I would recommend them if a shroud doesn't help. However, I'm not seeing how you're going to add a shroud with your electric fan. If you have 4" between the back of your radiator core and the front of your engine, the Spal fans should fit and I'll bet they pull a lot more air.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

That's my thought as well, I am lacking space for a shroud right now. I have a high flow water pump already. I'll look into seeing what dual fans will fit

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I have seen recirculation happen in the past on a roof mounted air conditioner, like is often seen on RVs and trucks. The condenser fan was recirculating its own air. The situation would occur when the vehicle was stationary, and was aggravated when the wind was blowing in a certain direction. We installed some shrouding on the a/c unit which fixed the problem. High side pressure on the a/c unit dropped over 100 psi with the shroud.

That said, I think it' a pretty long shot that recirculation is your problem. I'd say it's far more likely if you had a hood but no baffle, where the air had a much easier chance to recirculate.

My thought is that dual 11" fans would fix the problem.

I would also close up the gap between the radiator and filler panels. I don't think that's an idle issue, but could be on the road. It would force all the air to go through the radiator rather than some going around it.

I took the car to a show today about a 20 minute drive away, mostly highway. The news is, that the car doesn't cool particularly well at idle, I already knew that. Now I know that the car doesn't cool particularly well on the highway either. I am sure that you may be thinking that the solution now is to buy a bigger radiator, and if I had never seen the car before I would say the same thing. My problem with this is that the car used to cool on the highway before it was parked 6 years ago. What could have changed while it was parked? I don't understand it at all.

Member #:115
    If I was you I'd start with the basics. Drain and flush the entire system. Look inside the radiator and see if it's clean or if there are any partially plugged tubes. Check your hoses to make sure they look good. Remove your thermostat and make sure it's opening all the way (put it into boiling water on the stove), or replace it with a high flow unit. Refill with new coolant (antifreeze and water) with the proper mix for your area. Run and drive it and see if anything changed. If not, make sure your gauge is reading correctly. Now you can consider any changes you might want to make.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Thanks cnut, I'll keep everyone posted.