Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Cooling at idle issue

Member #:2209
    I have some experience with a blown street car and they can be a challenge. I dont have all of the answers but I can share what I have learned with my car. First let me say that it is probably not any one thing you are going to find that "fixes" the overheating problem, everything is a balancing act and when everything is out a little bit you have problems. Even though it may look like a shroud would not help, it did with my car and there is not much of a shroud there. Second Ido not have a hood so I doubt that is your issue. I think Cnuts advice to do a through flush and clean is a great one and then see what you can fab up for a shroud even if it is temporary would help. One thing that has not been mentioned is tuning of the engine, I know on my car ignition is very sensitive, the blower seems to magnify every small issue. So check plugs (I would replace) wires, cap, rotor, coil, make sure everything is in great shape. Then on to check timing, not sure what yours is set up to run, but if you have a race track tune up in the car and you are trying to run on the street, does not make for a happy motor.

I know what you are going through, I inherited the 27 from my Dad two years ago and it took a few months of adjustments to get it running like I knew it should. Keep after it and enjoy the process.IMG_20170606_113750.jpgIMG_20170606_113729.jpgIMG_20170606_113757.jpg

Registered Member Recycled Rumor's Avatar

Member #:3391
    Alright gentlemen, I haven't changed anything on the car to date, but it was an unusually cool day in Minnesota yesterday and I decided to take the car for a ride to see what happened. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the car actually stabilized at 200 degrees and did a pretty good job of staying there both in traffic and on the highway.

My question is, how much of an affect does the ambient air temperature have on the cooling system?

Obviously it has some affect, but to what extent? For example, if the car stayed at 200* when it was 70* outside, how much hotter should I expect it to run when it is 80* or 90*? Does the water temp and the air temp have a linear relationship?

Registered Member

Member #:2643
    Quote Originally Posted by Recycled Rumor View Post
    I'll see if I can find a shroud that fits before I spring for the dual fan system. Fingers crossed.
    Like Cnut mentioned, you want the fan(s) pulling air through every square inch of the radiator core, so yes, a SEALED shroud is a necessity. When building the shroud, try to design it so the fan is at least 1" away from the radiator. Thin line fans are not going to cut it, because they don't pull much air and their motors are small and weak. Those weak motors might pull a decent amount of air in a zero restriction condition, but behind a radiator, particularly a 2+ row radiator with an AC condenser and/or trans cooler in front of it, it's ability to pull air through all of that goes way down. If the shroud alone doesn't work, you may have to resort to modifying your radiator support in order to move your radiator forward, so you can fit deeper, stronger electric fan(s).

Member #:530
    For my money and time, I would junk the fanblade-mounted-to-waterpump and install dual electric fans with a shroud that covers the back of radiator surface completely.
    Solved my problem on the 9 passenger wagon I had for many years. I live in So Cal, inland, where it gets to be 100 to 110 most summer days.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by Recycled Rumor View Post
    My question is, how much of an affect does the ambient air temperature have on the cooling system?

Obviously it has some affect, but to what extent? For example, if the car stayed at 200* when it was 70* outside, how much hotter should I expect it to run when it is 80* or 90*? Does the water temp and the air temp have a linear relationship?
    It's a direct correlation as long as everything else is constant. The heat transfer, Q, is a function of the convection coefficient, h, surface area, A, and the temperature difference between the surface Ts and ambient, Ta. In theory, the convection coefficient may change slightly due to air density but it's probably negligible.

So Q = h*A*(Ts-Ea)

If the ambient temperature goes up by 10 degrees, the coolant temperature rises 10 degrees assuming the thermostat isn't influencing the temperature at the lower end of the temperature range.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456