Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 56 convertible trunk panels

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    I watch ebay for stuff like this quite often, and I don't recall seeing a completed conv with sedan side walls and everything operating properly---not to say it can't be done--- but I have seen several failed project cars with them. Going cheap is not always the cheapest way to go, just something to think about. You also need to keep resale value in mind, and a new set of conv side walls will more than pay for themselves IMO. I have never had a need or desire to try it, so I could be wrong, especially if you are a metal shaper.

Registered Member

Member #:2562
    I know what you are saying thats why I asked the original question to try and figure out what was going on here and with some help found out its a sedan and figure out the differences.I work at GM and we build alot of floor assemblies some people think a spot weld is just a simple weld many of them fail thats why they do destructive testing on planels so I am reluctant to start taking car apart and replacing everything,trying to keep it rigid without squeaks and rattles. I know it can be done.So I have come to the conclusion that I need to remove the quarter panels to see exactly what is going on here.Its not about the money to me its about making it the best i can.I think this project was started by someone who was trying to cut corners and save money.thanks for the help.7

Registered Member

Member #:2562
    Hello,been awhile since I've posted anything,work and family matters kept getting in the way.Resumed work on my convertible making some progress.have installed new trunk floor,panels and tailpan.I have a few questions concerning locating x member in frame (old frame was gone from car but x member was included)I measured stagger in front floor mounts seem to be 1-1 1/4" (floor has been patched.Using stock front motor mounts and installing 700r4 transmission when I put rear transmission mount on x member (aftermarket) it touches transmission pan and is too far foward,don't know if some one else has experience this?what I was wondering is if someone could give me a measurement of the distance of the rear spring mounting bolts access hole to x member flange inside of frame rail.Right now I have about 1/2".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12