Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Storage of Project Engine

Member #:2209

Storage of Project Engine

I am working on a 57 4DRHT project that I thin will take about 4 or 5 years to complete. I have ordered a chassis from Laszlo, and to set up the rest of the drive train and body I am going to need the engine and transmission. My concern is that I am planning on buying a reman LS motor. What is the best way to store something like that long term? I have thought about getting an empty block and trans case but they are expensive for something that will not end up being used. I have heard suggestions of setting it up to run once a month or so, or to pull the rockers to relax the valve springs and lube the cylinder walls, but that doesn't get any oil in the bearing surfaces. So what is the consensus on the best long term storage solutions.

Member #:115
    Honestly, I don't know the answer to your question because I haven't had to deal with it. I had a 55K mile 67 Corvette 435HP 427 sitting in my Nomad in my garage for years and I had blasted the clutch fork in the late 70's shortly after I bought it. When I sold the engine, the clutch fork looked almost like the day I blasted it almost 30 years prior. That was in Colorado where the air is dry.

If I were to recommend a storage regimen, I would say remove the spark plugs and squirt some oil into the cylinders. Turn the engine over a few times to spread the oil. Then remove the valve covers and back off the rocker adjustments until all the valves are closed and the tension is off the springs. Seems to me like the engine could sit like that for years with no problem. The cylinders would be sealed up and the oil should protect the inside of the engine. I wouldn't worry about the bearing surfaces, as they should be covered with oil.

I've had my brand new 502 sitting in my Nomad for several years since I bought it. I haven't done anything to it but cover the exhaust ports and spark plug holes with tape. I plan to disassemble it soon and clean it up. Hopefully the dry climate here has preserved the engine and I don't have to do anything major to it. Never did I imagine it would be sitting so long.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax