Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Building New Shop

Member #:2209
    Construction finally under way! Most of frame up at end of day one. Should be finished in about three more days. I have been shooting the construction in time lapse with a picture every 30 seconds, fun to see building put up in a minute.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #:530
    Go man, Go! Progress pics are great. Keep 'em coming.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Just got the building final inspection so time to start filling it up!

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I think I would string the electrical first. Nice looking building is it insulated already.

Yes electrical and lighting is next, followed by storage racks, air compressor lines, work benches, and on and on. The insulation is between the exterior panels and the framing, it is a foil sided foam core.

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    nice, exciting times ahead.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Well a long weekend, 350' of 36" trench dug for power, data and water lines, there was more than just for the shop but if I am renting a trencher then I was going to do all the trenching I needed. 3" conduit and 4/0 cable laid from the power drop to the new shop, boy is that stuff a pain to pull. I got my panel mounted in the shop so next step is connecting both ends. I still need to run a 1" data conduit and all of my water lines but time to go back to work to pay for all of this great stuff.

Member #:115
    Sounds like great progress, and you're going to be done in no time with the hard stuff. I didn't run water to my shop because I didn't feel I needed it and my septic system is on the opposite side of the house. I didn't want to put in another septic tank and leach field. My house is only about 100 feet from the shop so it's not a big deal. Water would be handy, though. How are you finishing the interior off?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

I am going to leave the interior raw for the most part, insulation is between the panels and framing so not sure dry wall is going to help much. I do have some plans for pallet racking along the back wall and stations for metal equipment, welders and table saw. I am starting with two rows of 8 fixtures for basic lighting, they are LED bulbs in a florescent fixture, we will see how that works and then I plan on adding additional lighting as the shop forms up for more task oriented lighting.

I ran water basically to put my water treatment in the building, I use and Iron filter on the well and I am connecting to city water so I will put the water softener on that. Keeping the equipment indoors makes it last much longer. I am thinking of just putting in a sink and a single line drain field for a sink near the shop because I have the same problem is the septic is a long way away, and the house is closed enough to use the bathroom.

Everything always take longer that you expect, I thought I could get lights up in the shop this weekend, but I didn't even get power up and running. I do have to admit I took some of Sunday off so I could take the 27 to a local car show with my son Zack, but sometimes having fun with the kids is just too important.

Well I got my panel and one outlet wired up in the shop this week. I have also started hanging lights I am using these led tubes http://www.beeslighting.com/product-...bixxdf50f1.htm they are brighter than the T8 lights I have and I like the white color. My wife and kids got a sign for the shop for my birthday. They have started calling the shop my "Toy Box" , not far from the truth.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast