Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Building New Shop

Member #:2209

Building New Shop

I am going to be closing in a couple of weeks on a new house (with any luck). There is room for a 30 x 60 shop, and before anyone says build bigger, this si bigger than I originally thought and is as big as I can get given the current property. I am looking at gogin with a steel building because they seem to be the best bang for the buck and I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with steel buildings the would like to share.

My current plan is 30 x 60 with 14' side walls and a 3:12 pitch roof. 2 10 x 12 roll up doors and a single 36" man door. I thought about more doors but that does remove valuable wall space. I am planning on a vent on one end and a fan on the other for ventilation and the possibility of big ceiling fans added later. Basics will start with a 200 amp service and I will work on the electrical as time goes on. My first concern is the shell, anyone have a good company to call? Installation will be in Florida so wind loading is a factor.

There seams to be two basic types, the "red Iron" building, which is like a commercial structure, and the 2x2 metal truss structure, which is a little less money but does not give the volume space in the roof area like a red iron building. Would love to hear what others have done.

Thanks

Mike

Member #:115
    I stick-built mine in two parts for a total of about 2450 square feet and it is finished just like my house. My son did a 40x60 pole barn and it seems to be a good way to go. I really don't know the pros and cons of a metal building. Are you going to insulate it?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Sounds like you have a plan for a nice shop.

Around here a good option is a metal building. Mueller is one of the names for those here, but I have no idea if they are in your area. Not sure what you mean by a "red iron" building - maybe that's what we call a metal building here.

Member #:2017
    Mike, with a metal building, if you don't have an insulated ceiling separating the work area and an attic area you are likely to have condensation issues inside.
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Member #:2209
    My plan is to have insulation installed between the frame and the sheeting, probably R-10, and that is supposed to control condensation. Stick build here is a difficult becuase of the wind loading requirements and you just ring the dinner bell for termites. I looked at block construction and truss roof system but the cost is over double.

Example of a "red Iron" building http://www.bucksteel.com/steel-garage-building.html

Example of Truss built tubing building http://www.blakeconstructiononline.com/id69.html

Member #:615
    You plans are very similar to my shop. Mine is 30 x 60, 12 foot side walls and two 10 x 10 doors. I wish I had gotten 12 wide doors, it would be much better when backing in a trailer. Mine came with a 36" man door, but I added another on the opposite corner at the back. When working with fuel, solvents and paints I feel better with another escape route.
    1.jpg

Mine is the 2 x 2 metal truss structure. I have the insulation installed between the frame and the sheeting with no condensation problem. The bottom of the trusses on mine are at 12 feet, they are 10 feet apart. If I add a lift I will just position it between the trusses. The pictures you showed have different trusses which should work better.

My shop is 12 years old and no problems. I also have another building of the same construction that is 30 x 40. It is 21 years old. I would do the same style again.

I'm not sure about wind loads or the building codes in your area, but mine work well in North Texas.
    Last edited by Tabasco; 06-16-2015 at 05:04 AM.

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by Fladiver64 View Post
    I am going to be closing in a couple of weeks on a new house (with any luck). There is room for a 30 x 60 shop, and before anyone says build bigger, this si bigger than I originally thought and is as big as I can get given the current property. I am looking at gogin with a steel building because they seem to be the best bang for the buck and I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with steel buildings the would like to share.My current plan is 30 x 60 with 14' side walls and a 3:12 pitch roof. 2 10 x 12 roll up doors and a single 36" man door. I thought about more doors but that does remove valuable wall space. I am planning on a vent on one end and a fan on the other for ventilation and the possibility of big ceiling fans added later. Basics will start with a 200 amp service and I will work on the electrical as time goes on. My first concern is the shell, anyone have a good company to call? Installation will be in Florida so wind loading is a factor.There seams to be two basic types, the "red Iron" building, which is like a commercial structure, and the 2x2 metal truss structure, which is a little less money but does not give the volume space in the roof area like a red iron building. Would love to hear what others have done.ThanksMike
    Having spent my last 8 years in the public sector as a QAM/SQE in Construction, specifically, PEMB (PreEngineered Metal Buildings) I have witnessed just about every trick of the trade. For starters and it's just my humble opinion, there are only a handful of PEMB companies out there that really make the grade. For me, a shop building is no different than a tool or a tool box. Some buy Snap On, some buy MAC and some buy Sears while many will buy Northern Tool, Lowes and finally, Harbor Freight. So, from the top down, material quality/gauge is the determining factor on the product. Your next criteria, erection or in the tool box industry, manufacturing/assembly. If a 150 lb party girl can't stand in the bottom drawer or, stand on the roof without a mishap, then that box isn't for you.For me, American Buildings Co. out of Eufaula, AL is a premier supplier that has solid connections for an erection crew if needed. The structure (product) will meet the criteria for the location but more importantly, CODE. As for Insulation; R10 is minimal. For me, regardless of blow through ventilation, the more you have (insulation) the more comfortable you will be and the more inclined you will be to, WANT TO WORK inside your shop. I suggest you consider R19 as a minimum and put it in the walls also. If you can afford R30, do it by all means - You will not regret it. No insulation in the roof and all you will have is a rain forest.If I can assist in any way, give me a shout - Good tools, deserve a great tool box. BTW, Build it as big as possible.JMHO

Member #:896
    What are the code requirements for your area?
    Bill 1957-427-177-6-410

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I have never spoke to anyone who did not wish they had went bigger on shop space.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by Bihili View Post
    What are the code requirements for your area?
    Are you asking fladiver64 to write a book?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast