Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: thread size of drain plug 55 nomad fuel tank?

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by JT56 View Post
    You can buy oxygenated fuels...but most people who run them have external pumps!
    All of our fuel is oxygenated (ethanol). I've never heard of anyone having a gas tank explode due to fuel lines or in-tank pumps.

Question of safety

If submerging the pump in liquid gasoline is safe because the liquid does not explode, what if your tank is getting empty? Is it not as safe then?

My question exactly. I recently took an electric fuel pump apart because it wasnt working. The fuel actually flows through the windings and brushes of the pump which is actually just a tiny motor. I cannot believe anyone would invent such a device. When the tank is almost empty it is full of explosive vapors. The tiny fuel pump itself is sealed on each end by crimping the outer casing against o-rings. If the top o-ring were to fail and the fuel was at a level below thw top of the pump, the pump motor would spark when turned on. I am going to go read up on intank fuel pump explosions and see just how common it is.

The almost empty tank is not technically full of explosive vapor - the air, or oxygen supply, is probably far too low to create an appropriate mixture. In fact, if the cap has not been removed, the fumes should all be gasoline and no air/oxygen at all, due to modern sealed fuel systems developed to reduce emissions of volatiles. Still, I agree that it seems scary, especially when you have to work in an opened fuel tank to replace or repair the pump! human 20:08, 19 November 2006 (UTC)

Most flames can't travel through a gap of less than 1/4 inch wide between surfaces unless they are already really hot. I've done experiments on this. You have to have the fuel to air mixture just right. Considering how small the hole in the o-ring would be, it's highly unlikely that the flame could travel beyond the insides of the pump. Plus, the voltage going through the motor is on the order of 1,000 times less than the voltage going through your spark plug. You're not going to get a strong spark. You're more likely to have this happen if you had someone smoking while trying to fill up a tank. The filler stem might be big enough to allow a flame to backflash into the tank. Smilla0 04:33, 18 August 2007 (UTC)

I designed fuel pumps at Ford for 10 years. The explosive nature of a fuel tank is not a fact due to the low amount of 0xygen in the tank. All cars have the same "design" fuel pump (a small motor turning a device - usually a turbine or gerotor). However, this is one reason why you turn off your vehicle when filling it and DO NOT go back into your car until the fill is complete. The likelyhood of generating a spark (from the interior of your car) goes up dramatically. A static spark at the fillerneck is NOT something you want to happen. I have seen gas station videos - believe me.... I am an auto mechanic who also has a chemistry background. The reason electric, tank- mounted fuel pumps do not cause explosions is that the concentration of fuel vapors is too high to allow an explosive mixture. The volatile (which in this context refers to a tendency to evaporate) nature of gasoline causes fuel vapors to take up any empty space as the fuel tank is emptied. Even if you completely empty a tank, open its access ports, and allow it to sit open, the concentration of vapors INSIDE the tank will still be too high to explode. Now, OUTSIDE the tank is a different story, and for this reason, one must use caution when performing any sort of repair or maintenance to a fuel tank, regardless of the type of pump used on the vehicle.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:1608
    I was referring to the non ethanol fuel. This is spec sheet for Leaded Fuel that is Oxygenated. Both the sender and pump are grounded. When the electrons cant flow, no current. Would be interesting to fully understand that.

SPECIFICATION SHEET FOR VP 113

(Typical Values) Specific Gravity: .719 @ 60°F

Lead: Yes

Oxygenated: Yes

Color: Green

Motor Octane: 108.5

Research Octane: 117.5

R+M/2: 113

Reid Vapor Pressure: 7.96

Oxidation Stability (min.) 1440+

Distillation:
    10% evap @ 135.7°F

50% evap @ 188.8°F

90% evap @ 225.7°F

E.P. @ 2462.9°F

Availability: Sealed Drums

Rev: 02/07

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Wow and to think all I really wanted to know is the thread dia of the drain plug in a trifive lol. Carry on I did not mean to hijack my hi jack lol...

Member #:1608
    Sorry Rockytopper...we should start a new thread for this.

Member #:115
    Both the sender and pump are grounded.
    It doesn't matter. If there's current running through them and you break the circuit, you'd get a spark. In fact, you'd get NO spark if it wasn't grounded.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Sorry Rockytopper...we should start a new thread for this.
    JT we left the drain hole plug thread dia discussion several days ago lol. It is now open game for what ever topic it ends up or never ends lol. I'm still learning....carry on for real I could not speak "an fittings" now I,m dang near a spirt on the topic already. And Cnut like Steve Harvey does guest on his show got me past my fears of diy race hose all is good!!!!
    Last edited by rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017; 06-22-2015 at 01:49 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456