Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going overboard with sound deadener?

Member #:896
    Lots of Dynamat for sound deadening and then install loud mufflers.
    Not trying to steal your thread but I always laugh when guys do this.
    Bill 1957-427-177-6-410

Registered Member

Member #:2694
    I will add my experience to this thread hoping it helps others. I spent quite a bit of time reading about what is available in the market etc.... My 57 doesn't have an interior (it will soon, at the shop) so I drove it with a bare metal interior, just a front seat. I will also say that my exhaust is temporary, just pipes to the rear axles with glass packs. Driving the car becomes uncomfortable after 10 minutes due to noise, and I don't mind loud exhaust. I installed materials from sound deadner showdown using their system which includes the tiles, closed cell foam, and MLV. I did 100% of the floor and only 50% of the firewall and I can say there is a marked difference in noise reduction. I then completed the inside door skins, quarters, and installed the back seat and got a next level improvement. The car went from unbearable to being able to drive it 80 miles in one shot. Not a very scientific analysis but hopefully establishes some level of difference. I agree with Chevynut's first post. I think there is a method to the madness with noise reduction.

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    The best sound deadening you can buy is a good stereo, a huge AMP, and powerful speakers. It will eliminate most sound issues and even squeaks and rattles that all these old cars have LOL.

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    if your going to do it, doesn't make sense just to do some (most ) and not all.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by carls 56 View Post
    if your going to do it, doesn't make sense just to do some (most ) and not all.
    Why not? Some coverage deadens the sound some. In fact, OEMs don't use sound deadener everywhere. Just a few sheets here and there help immensely to keep the panel from vibrating. This material doesn't BLOCK sound, it deadens vibrations of the panel which transmits sounds.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:571
    This material doesn't BLOCK sound, it deadens vibrations of the panel which transmits sounds.
    Actually that IS how you block sound.

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Why not? Some coverage deadens the sound some. In fact, OEMs don't use sound deadener everywhere. Just a few sheets here and there help immensely to keep the panel from vibrating. This material doesn't BLOCK sound, it deadens vibrations of the panel which transmits sounds.
    because you have already gone to all the trouble and cost. what's a few minutes more to not just do it all. common sense in my opinion and pretty lazy no to just do it all. ............. knew you would have something to say about my opinion when I made it. getting a little old Lazlo.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Quote Originally Posted by carls 56 View Post
    because you have already gone to all the trouble and cost. what's a few minutes more to not just do it all. common sense in my opinion and pretty lazy no to just do it all. ............. knew you would have something to say about my opinion when I made it. getting a little old Lazlo.
    You're getting a little old Carl . You provided ZERO supporting facts for your "opinion". Why can't you just debate things instead of attacking and getting defensive? All I did is refute your comment with facts. Why are you so offended when anyone asks you a question? Put on your big boy pants.

The fact is you don't need to cover every square inch. It costs a lot and it adds more weight. These materials are heavy and expensive. I saw a picture where someone covered even the b-pillars and the entire interior as if he was painting it on. That's unnecessary.

Rick is right, and maybe I didn't explain it right. What I meant is that the sound deadener material itself doesn't block sound by itself. If a panel doesn't vibrate it doesn't transmit sound. You don't put shock absorbers all over your car, you put them at the suspension points. In the same way, you need to add enough sound barrier to deaden the panel's vibration. If you can do that, the sound won't be transmitted. Most of these sound deadeners are butyl or other type of rubber with a metal film attached to one side. It acts like a spring and a weight to dampen vibration much like a shock absorber. It's not like thermal insulation where you need thickness and air pockets to prevent heat transfer. Anything, even thermal insulation, blocks some sound but you have to stop the vibrations to most effectively block it. This is also why I believe the spray-on sound deadeners aren't worth it.

Read Rick's post #7 above...that's exactly what I'm saying.

If you build a wall out of sound deadener alone, sound can still get through it. It's not like armor or a Faraday cage.
    Last edited by chevynut; 10-21-2015 at 12:51 PM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:2694
    My take on this is they are two different issues. I buy into what the sound deadner show down site is trying to put out there. You do not need 100% coverage to reduce panel vibrations. That is what the Tiles do and why there isn't 100% coverage. They also go on to say that you need the closed cell foam to isolate the mass loaded vinyl from the panels. My understanding is that the MLV blocks or perhaps absorbs sound. The question becomes do you need 100% coverage of the MLV? Sound deadner advocates that you want to make sort of a bathtub type enclosure from the window line down. I found that hard to do and so I don't have 100% coverage - not even close. I can say if all I did to quiet down my car was use the tiles, it would be much louder than compared to tiles+CCF+MLV.

Of course it doesn't "hurt" to cover everything 100%. And it doesn't "hurt to put sound deadener over sound deadener over sound deadener. My point is it's not necessary to reduce noise significantly. Just a little in the right places can do a lot. I don't think you need a "bathtub" enclosure to do this. I think it makes sense to put the foil-type deadener on large areas like some areas of the floor, the firewall, some of the inner quarters, inside the doors, and definitely on the roof where you have large expanses of flat steel to vibrate. Then you need to address the heat from the firewall, floors, and the roof with thermal insulation that will also help block sound some.

I just don't think you need to get carried away with it. I'll bet if you get 50% coverage you've blocked 90+% of the noise that you'd get with 100% coverage. You'll never block it all. Is it worth it to go another 50% in weight and expense to get another 10% reduction? Maybe some audiophiles would say yes, but hotrodders don't need that quiet of a car. I want to hear the engine.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12