Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: chrome plating

Member #:40

chrome plating

just did a full interior trim kit for a customer ( headliner bows not pictured ) . we did 7 bows, 9 rear garnish, and 7 front windshield garnish. this stuff came out fantastic, really cant see how you could get much better than this. almost too nice for a car. we are doing a pair of original outside door handles this week, as well as the V emblems that go below the taillights on a 56. both are potmetal. apparently the customer didn't like the reproduction door handles, something to do with the fit. the Vs are reproductions but I was told when they fit them to the car, they fractured because it wasn't a perfect fit. curious to see how those come out.

I cant count how many times ive heard horror stories about chrome shops. yes this stuff is pricey, but there are no surprises. I wouldn't put my name on it otherwise.

MadMooks 55-57 Nomad Parts
    www.madmooks.com

Member #:3
    Really Nice stuff Mike,

Whats it cost to have a set like that done? .
    whats the lead time ? .
    Thanks for all you do for the Nomad guys !

Thanks Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Thanks Sid!

well with this stuff, the more you buy the more you save. I don't always get a lot of people doing the whole interior. this customer did 7 bows, 9 rear garnish, and 7 windshield garnish. basically everything around the window that came factory chrome, was chromed. the price range for this particular set is 1750-2000.00 now if someone didn't want to have it all done, it would be broken down like this. 750.00 for the bows, 900-1000.00 for the rear 9 garnish, and 450-650 for the front garnish. some pieces can be tricky with the garnish. the rear center hinge cover is by far the most difficult and pricey to do. theres a lot of surface area on the piece and lots to it. a lot of times you see this piece with rings around the screw holes because the previous owner over tightened them. the garnish have a little brace behind each hole to prevent this, but a lot of times they are missing and the owner is unaware of it. so we get them in with a fair amount of straightening needed, sometimes welding involved. it really depends how good the cores are. obviously the more time we spend in prep, the price will be on the upper end of the spectrum. all the garnish is steel , its the potmetal that shops just brutalize. I will post pictures of the door handles and the Vs when I get them in as both are potmetal.

this took us about 6-8 weeks, but they have been swamped over there. I had 12 liftgates there, and those always get priority.
    Last edited by MadMooks; 08-03-2015 at 01:22 PM.
    www.madmooks.com

Member #:1653

Chrome

So, you are doing it?

personally no. a polishing shop we work with over here in southern California. I oversee the whole process, especially with the liftgates. you got to look over this stuff good, because these shops wont bring the flaws to ur attention. they just want to get paid and the parts gone. I work directly with the owner, and after doing so much business with him over the years we have a pretty good understanding of each other and what we expect with the final product.
    Last edited by MadMooks; 08-03-2015 at 03:54 PM.
    www.madmooks.com

here is a 56 wagon 5 piece rear bumper we did earlier this year. they were east coast cores.

www.madmooks.com

Member #:873
    Nice work! Getting what your paying for is priceless.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Kswartz View Post
    Nice work! Getting what your paying for is priceless.

Kevin

thanks Kevin!
    www.madmooks.com

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    nice job, they do look good.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.