Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rear Axle swap

Member #:2285
    Quote Originally Posted by Eds56 View Post
    Update & Follow up ? --
    Good News...... Yes, it appears the axles themselves are the same (at least in my case they were).
    Ed
    Correction to post #2--
    I got ahead of myself with that post. NO the axles are NOT the same. Apparently in the case of my "old junkyard parts car" the rear end turned out to be a mixed bag of crap someone threw together 25 years ago. I don't know what they tried to do or were thinking, just that it's now a mixed bag. Sorry Guys ---- I will NOT knowingly post false information.

Now for an update: I have since found the correct axle ($40.00), installed new bearings, installed 3rd member, new U-joints, new rear Urethane bushings & added missing lower leaf spring. The bushings were shot and shackle was backwards, with both of those corrected she now "sets" completely different. If all the above works good, then my next step will be to get the back end raised back up a tad. With only 3 leafs she looked like a low riders (which is NOT my thing). Hope to give her a test drive later this weekend and then adjust from there.

Question: While the 3rd member was on the bench, I secured the pinion so it would not move, and checked the backlash. It was at 0.012" -- which i think is good for a used unit. HOWEVER, after i installed the drive shaft...... i noticed that the slack @ drive shaft seems to turn about 0.125". Is this normal?

Regards,
    Ed

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I think you're ok on the slack.

Seems you've fixed a bunch of things that will have positive results.

Member #:2285
    Just got back from a 60 mile test run and all i can say is "WOW". She rides 110% better, so much smoother than before. Now she sits lower in the rear than before and I may want to raise the back end just a tad at some point.....but not gonna stress over that right now. Perhaps it will grow on me the way it is.

Next project will be brake related, then maybe that 3.08 gear.

THANK YOU to all who added input / info.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12