Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powerglide to 700r4 conversion

Member #:2670

Powerglide to 700r4 conversion

I am trying to source a 700r4 for future installation. Is it necessary to remove the Powerglide frame mount horns - I think it would be for clearance but not sure.

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    had a 700r4 put in a 55 I had. not necessary to remove them, but I did anyway. better clearance for my exhaust and there UGLY.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I still use them on my 56 with 700r4, It has CCI turbo mid mount adaptors with a early Camaro crossmember out back. I am not a fan of most side mount conversions unless a Big Block is involved.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    You have two choices for this.

1. Use the original front mounts and an aftermarket bellhousing mount kit that bolts to the original bellhousing mount brackets on the frame.
    2. Use an engine side mount conversion and a crossmember. You can cut the mount brackets off the frame but you don't have to as they are not in the way. However, if you have (or want) a lowered car, this is the way to go since you can cut the brackets off the frame, allowing you to tuck the exhaust pipes up higher and create some ground clearance.

Good to know, don't want to lower the car, and when the day comes, I might not have to spend time with the sawzall.

Registered Member

A sawzall is not the correct way to remove them, it is all but impossible to do neatly with the body on frame.

Member #:530
    Used a sawzall to remove mine, then a harbor freight grinder/sanding wheel...with the body on.
    Came out just fine. What tool would you use Sal?
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    Used a sawzall to remove mine, then a harbor freight grinder/sanding wheel...with the body on.
    Came out just fine. What tool would you use Sal?
    That's what I was thinking too. But I don't expect to be lowering so I might be able to duck that.

Registered Member

Member #:3480
    I was going to have a 700R4 put in my 55 Chevy 210, I got a message from JEGS saying this wouldn't work in my car, well let me copy and paste their message. ///
    Brandon Johnson (JEGS Performance) Dec 10, 9:22 PM EST Hello,
    The 700r4 will not fit the stock tunnel on the car. You will need to make a custom mount and make a tunnel or buy one of the aftermarket tunnels that are sold by other company to fit the Later Gm transmissions to the car.
    Brandon Johnson
    Jeg's Customer Service
    1-800-345-4545

We are dedicated to providing our customers with the very best in selection,
    value, same day shipping and lifetime support. Thank you for choosing JEGS!

So of course this has me confused to say the least. I have several friends who own tri fives, especially 55's and they've done this swap with no modifications other than cutting the driveshaft and having it balanced. Can anyone give me some input on this from their own experience? I would like to copy them to Jegs because I don't believe they know what they're talking about. Thanks for any help given.

Registered Member

Tell the idiots at Jegs you can hang a 700R4 from the stock frame horns with CCi adaptor mounts and no floor or firewall modifications.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast