Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HEI distributors

Member #:2670

HEI distributors

Looking for a recommendation for an HEI distributor. Stock 283 4 barrel WCFB.

Member #:777
    I would use stock distributor with Pertronix conversion. HEI may hit firewall with engine in stock location

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Or stock distributor with a Mallory Unilite conversion, note switch to 57 Ford/ Mallory ballast resistor. Unlike losers on the other site I would not use Skip White Chinese junk.

I have been expecting cnut to recommend Skip White any second now!

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Calling that junk out is what led to my demise on the other site. I hurt a couple of hacks feelings.

Oh, believe me, I remember!

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Not sure there's a choice out there I really like. The concept of changing over a 57-74 points distributor is probably still the most attractive to me, but the only guy that does them is not a steady guy as far as deliveries.

I don't think much of large cap HEIs. I also don't think there's much value for the MSD "ready to run" stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Not sure there's a choice out there I really like. The concept of changing over a 57-74 points distributor is probably still the most attractive to me, but the only guy that does them is not a steady guy as far as deliveries.

I don't think much of large cap HEIs. I also don't think there's much value for the MSD "ready to run" stuff.

The pertronix have been flawless, at least in my years experience with them. I also prefer the look of the stock dist with black cap. Points will work fine on that stock engine, no need for anything fancy or pricey.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The Pertronix has no performance advantage (hotter spark). But you may not need hotter spark anyway.

Used to be, the Pertronix II needed you to hold the switch in the "run" position a few seconds before attempting to start the engine. Have they fixed that? Probably not a big deal if you know, frustrating if you don't.

The "Dave's" small body HEI has a stock appearance, and uses a GM magnetic pickup and module that you can buy at most any auto supply if you have a failure on the road. Try that with an MSD distributor which has the same performance.
    Last edited by Rick_L; 09-17-2015 at 08:02 PM.

Never heard about holding the switch. My cars all start as normal and do run better. There's no "magic" ignition(stock), it either is working or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast