Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Nomad C4 chassis assembly

Member #:115
    Got a little more polishing and assembly done today. Wow, that polishing sure takes a lot of time. I had a bunch of AN fittings and stainless tubing to polish for both the fuel and brake lines. I chased all the threads in the frame and cut the grounding point NPT threads a little deeper to make sure I had good electrical contact on both ends. I also installed some of 5/16" button head screws to cap off the top of my fuel tank mounting holes to keep water out and finish them off nicely. Once I finish polishing my stainless fuel tank I can mount it in the frame and finish the fuel line plumbing. It doesn't seem like much, but it's several hours work to get this done. One step at a time.....

I also heard back from Ult1mate Coatings and they're sending me a "trial kit" so I can see what their aluminum coatings are like.

Attached Images Attached Images
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    just beautiful. going to be a shame to cover it up with the body.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

I've gotten some more work done on the assembly the past few days along with the polishing of the fuel tank which is almost done. I've polished my fuel and brake lines, a bunch of stainless AN fittings, stainless line clamps and button head screws, and got it installed. I also got the Wilwood proportioning valve installed with polished stainless fittings.

Once I get the tank installed I can make the fuel line connections and I just have a couple more brake lines to install in front. Then I'll start working on the exhaust system.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    LIKE!!!

Member #:2709
    Lot of cool mods on that 56 Nomad! Looks like you're on your way to a nice show piece!!!

Thanks My55. It's been a long road with this car but it's coming together.

Yesterday I found a little time to work on it some more. I now have all the brake lines polished and installed on the frame. The fuel lines on the tank are polished and there's only the two lines that connect the tank to the frame to do. I hope to have the fuel tank done this week, but my brother is visiting so that's taking up most of my time.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:2709
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Thanks My55. It's been a long road with this car but it's coming together.

Yesterday I found a little time to work on it some more. I now have all the brake lines polished and installed on the frame. The fuel lines on the tank are polished and there's only the two lines that connect the tank to the frame to do. I hope to have the fuel tank done this week, but my brother is visiting so that's taking up most of my time.

Hey Chevynut, I have some questions if you don't mind:

What process do you use to polish your lines? And do you polish your gas tank also? I assume that's a high pressure tank from Tanks Inc.?

Also, The air induction for your 56 Nomad, it looks like it started from an old hood? Am I right or was it done some other way?

I wish I had access to a metal shop. There's a lot of nice things to creat, as you have done!
    My buddy has a mig which he is going to help me weld my side motor mounts in. A mig weld looks so nice! Thanks in advance!!!

Quote Originally Posted by My55 View Post
    What process do you use to polish your lines?
    I first sand them by hand with 1200 grit lengthwise. Then I use a fine "unitized wheel" (like scotchbrite) on my buffer on the bends and the nuts. The bends get a little rough on the outside curve and it smooths them right down which is hard to do with sandpaper. The nuts are not really smooth and it helps smooth them down too. It doesn't take too long. Then I buff the nuts and lines with white compound and buffing wheel.

And do you polish your gas tank also? I assume that's a high pressure tank from Tanks Inc.?
    Still working on polishing the tank...I built it myself out of stainless sheet TIG welded together. I also built the stainless pump unit around a Walbro 255 LPH pump.

Also, The air induction for your 56 Nomad, it looks like it started from an old hood? Am I right or was it done some other way?
    I built it from scratch out of aluminum. It's aircraft epoxy bonded to the steel radiator cover.

A mig weld looks so nice!
    TIG welds typically look a lot nicer than MIG, imo . Also, you can make a nice-looking MIG weld that is really crappy as far as strength. Here's some TIG welds I've done on steel, aluminum, and stainless. My son is a better welder than I am .

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:532
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Thanks a bunch Bluegrass trifive! Are you looking at an adapter or a hose end? Sounds like you're planning on an adapter that fits onto the rack's 45 degree metric threads.
    They screw over the male fitting on the rack. I could never find a hose fitting of any kind that had material such that I could re-machine. Here's pics of them, I can powder coat them if you want as long as I have the color you'd like, let me know and PM me your address and I'll send a couple your way.

Cool! Curious what fitting you started with.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast