Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Nomad C4 chassis assembly

Registered Member

Member #:532
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Cool! Curious what fitting you started with.
    -4 male to 3/8 NPT male steel fitting. I haven't looked at aluminum fittings to see if they could be altered. I wanted a 90 but the way they're drilled there's no stock to machine the seat from.

Member #:115
    Gas tank has the drain and vent fittings welded in, it's polished and installed on the frame. I put a strip of thin self-adhesive neoprene foam rubber between the gas tank and frame. It's not perfectly polished (the bottom is better than the top) but it looks pretty good to me for a gas tank.

I also polished an AC Delco stainless fuel filter and the rest of the fuel lines. All the polished brake and fuel lines are installed and the chassis plumbing is now done. Next I plan to polish and install the exhaust and suspension. I may take a polishing break and go back to fiberglassing for a while.

Attached Images Attached Images
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:2017
    Nice!
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

I guess I must not be too tired of polishing yet. Today I gathered up some spare C4 suspension parts and took the forging marks and defects out of two lower a-arms, two spindles, 4 dogbones, and part of a Dana 44 batwing. Still a lot of polishing to do but I think I might have found a local polishing company that I'll let do the bright stuff if the price is right. I figured I could get the rough stuff of myself pretty quickly.

I have been having a heck of a time with the Australian company that said they'd send me a trial kit for coating polished parts. It's the one Mick used for his C4 stuff. I've been looking at Glisten PC by POR-15 and it sounds like almost the identical stuff to me. I may end up going with that if I don't anodize. I read mixed reviews on it online.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Got a little more polishing done on the suspension parts. There are 8 pieces to polish in front, and 11 in the rear.

I removed the forging marks from the parts with a coarse roloc, then went after it with a medium scotchbrite disc, then with a fine scotchbrite disc. I have the 4 dogbones, two lower a-arms, two spindles, and the Dana 44 batwing smoothed to that point. They look pretty good. I put one dogbone on my buffer and found it was pretty easy to get it to shine. I used brown compound on a sisal wheel. The final polish really needs to be with a cotton wheel and white compound.

Here's what a batwing looks like stock:

This is after sanding with a roloc to remove the forging marks:

And this is after the scotchbrite disc treatment

When I removed the boss on the end of the batwing, this was left:

So I welded it up and sanded it down:

Here's a stock dogbone and one that is almost finished polishing. It really doesn't take that long to do. The batwing and some of the other parts will be more difficult.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:2442
    Your frame looks great. Nice job on the tank!!

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    You need to put a transparent floor in the rear deck so the tank can be seen when its finished lol....Nice work!!!

Registered Member

Member #:2581
    Holly cow! That's one sweet looking frame. I take it your car will be a trailer queen?

Doc, that's not the plan. I do plan to drive it, but not a daily driver. I'll do a little cruising around to car shows here and there.

I've been working on polishing the batwing and it's a heck of a job. I think I'm going to do a combination of paint and polish instead of trying to get into all those nooks and crannies. And since the pumpkin will be painted, I think it will look good.

I have the Dana 44 differential disassembled and will be prepping the case for paint so I can paint it once it's rebuilt. I have new bearing, clutches, and seals for it, and a new set of Mopar 4.10 gears for a Viper. I'll post a few pics when I get a little further along.

This is like building with Tinkertoys.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

I've finished sanding on the batwing and have it at 2000 grit where it's going to be polished. The other places will be primed and painted. I got the differential parts all cleaned up and have all the new pieces except the side seals and bearings. Not sure I'm going to replace those bearings because they look and feel good, but the seals will be replaced.

I plan to rebuild the carrier myself with new clutches and install the ring gear on it, then I'll take it to a pro to set up the rest of it for me. I'll finish the assembly of the side yokes and batwing after painting.

I also have most of the exhaust system polished on the sisal wheel and ready for final polishing on the cotton wheel after I finish welding the muffler inlets and outlets. I have to cut and replace the last 3 foot section of the tailpipes since I changed my exhaust hangers from rubber to the CNC machined ones that clamp to the tailpipe. No big deal since I have lots of 3" stainless tubing.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast