Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 28 of 69 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Nomad C4 chassis assembly

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    I think you're still missing my point. If I was to use an offset poly rod end instead of a heim, the angles would be different than you show in your drawings because the rod end would be straight (perpendicular to the bolt hole) for about 1" from the bolt hole, then it would angle. So the angle would be greater in that case. I was trying to figure out if the 7 degree poly rod ends would work.
    No, I haven't missed your point at all, but was simply offering additional data should you decide to go to strictly heims. And certainly, I recognize that as the distance from bolt center to bend radius increases the angle changes. That angle, other than for fabrication needs has little consequence compared to changing the offset distance of the camber bar. As you stated, the two fastened ends and their respective bores need to remain parallel regardless of the end type unless heims are used at both ends, then it is of little concern.

Always glad to assist - keep us posted on your progress.

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Cnut I'm trying to restore my stainless trim. I have master dent removal but need to polish them. What do you do to get them mirror. ie what is the last level of sand paper you use before polish and then what polishing wheels and compounds do you prefer? I also wish to polish the aluminum caps I had made and then want to clear them like wheels are done.
    Thanks
    Rocky

ps. if you care to share info in another post to help others it will not clutter your build thread I would really appreciate the info.
    Last edited by rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017; 12-01-2016 at 05:19 PM.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by rockytopper View Post
    Cnut I'm trying to restore my stainless trim. I have master dent removal but need to polish them. What do you do to get them mirror. ie what is the last level of sand paper you use before polish and then what polishing wheels and compounds do you prefer? I also wish to polish the aluminum caps I had made and then want to clear them like wheels are done.
    Thanks
    Rocky

ps. if you care to share info in another post to help others it will not clutter your build thread I would really appreciate the info.
    Rocky, when I polished my stainless I went to at least 1200 grit sandpaper, sometimes to 2000 grit before buffing. One trick is to sand one direction then when you change to the next finer grit sand in another direction until you can't see any of the prior scratches.

Then I used green buffing compound to finish it. I think you can use white to get an even better finish. I posted a chart earlier in this thread showing recommended compounds. If you buff and can't get the shine you want or there's scratches left, just go back to sanding again with finer paper until you get there.

One thing I found out is that you can only get so much shine with a spiral-sewn buffing wheel. I was leaving very fine scratches with it, so I bought a loose wheel and it does the final mirror polish with white compound. I've done a few pieces of stainless since I put the loose wheel on and it definitely is smoother. I think the trim needs to be smoother/shinier than my fuel lines or other chassis parts I've polished.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Today I got the rear coilovers assembled with the 12" 550 lb/in springs. My coilover spring calculator says to preload them 1.5" but I'm much more uncertain about the rear calculations than the front so I preloaded 1" and left them there for now and will wait til the car is assembled to adjust them. I can't install them until I finish polishing and Cerakote-ing the knuckles. Also, I have all the parts I need for the shortened toe rods now.

I thought I'd have the rear suspension assembled by now but the past couple of weeks I've been busy deer hunting, building 70 feet of 2-foot wide shelves in my shop attic, moving parts out of my basement into the attic, working on Hemi55, fixing my plasma cutter, cleaning out my TIG welder after I saw how filthy the inside of my plasma cutter was , making hydroboost adapters, quoting C4 conversion frames, pruning tree limbs, putting new recessed lights in our kitchen, rebuilding kitchen soffits, and grouting floor tile. I don't know how I'd do all this stuff if I wasn't retired. Lol!

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:3217
    Most of us retired guys don't know how you found the 'time' OR 'energy' to do all that.... my own list pales in comparison to yours..

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Today I got the rear coilovers assembled with the 12" 550 lb/in springs. My coilover spring calculator says to preload them 1.5" but I'm much more uncertain about the rear calculations than the front so I preloaded 1" and left them there for now and will wait til the car is assembled to adjust them. I can't install them until I finish polishing and Cerakote-ing the knuckles. Also, I have all the parts I need for the shortened toe rods now.

I thought I'd have the rear suspension assembled by now but the past couple of weeks I've been busy deer hunting, building 70 feet of 2-foot wide shelves in my shop attic, moving parts out of my basement into the attic, working on Hemi55, fixing my plasma cutter, cleaning out my TIG welder after I saw how filthy the inside of my plasma cutter was , making hydroboost adapters, quoting C4 conversion frames, pruning tree limbs, putting new recessed lights in our kitchen, rebuilding kitchen soffits, and grouting floor tile. I don't know how I'd do all this stuff if I wasn't retired. Lol!
    So, what did you do after lunch?

Quote Originally Posted by NickP View Post
    So, what did you do after lunch?
    Oh I forgot, I also planted 35 new trees and installed a dishwasher in the past couple of weeks. Some of it was after lunch.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

I finally finished up the rear knuckles today and they're ready for cleaning and Cerakote application. These were by far the hardest parts to polish in the entire front and rear suspension and I know I spent over 10-12 hours on each of them from start to finish. This is as good as they're going to get and I'm glad I'm done with them!!!

20161202_008.JPG

20161202_009.jpg

20161202_010.jpg

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:3217
    Those are too nice to install on a car chassis... you should build a glass top coffee table and put them under 'lights'...

Thanks BamaNomad. Sure relieved to finally get done with all that polishing I've been working on for months. What's left is pretty small stuff that's easy to do.

Not going to get anything done on the Nomad this week, since I'm sitting on the beach in Puerto Vallarta having a cool one. By Friday I should be antsy to get home and back into the shop.
    Last edited by chevynut; 12-05-2016 at 09:27 AM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Page 28 of 69 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast