Thread: Nomad C4 chassis assembly

Banned

Member #:2775
    WOW, that is attention to detail!

Registered Member

Member #:2602

Suspension polish

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Take a look here Bluegrass. BTW, did you ever find those rack fittings for hoses

https://www.facebook.com/Ult1mate-43...8974/timeline/

https://vimeo.com/66486376

I've been trying to get ahold of these guys...they're in Australia but supposedly setting up dealers/applicators in the US.
    Hi Chevynut
    Would you be interested in contacting the guy they coated my parts
    I can send his phone number
    Mick

Member #:115
    Mick, I contaced a guy by the name of Gerard Short who said they had an applicator in Illinois, and he offered to send me their contact info. I asked him to do that and never got it. I asked him if I could do it myself and he said I could if I had a spray gun, which I do. I asked about pricing and he never gave that to me either. He told me he was going to send me a "trial kit" weeks ago. I've e-mailed him a couple of times after giving him my address, and he won't respond. I finally told him to forget it because I refuse to deal with a company with such shitty customer service and horrible communication. I don't need the grief.

After talking to them at SEMA I have decided to use Cerakote Clear to coat my polished parts.

https://www.clearcoating.com/
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:2602

Clearcote

I purchased Budnik wheels with clear coating called ceramicote .$100 per wheel.very nice work .
    Your chassis looks great .The polished parts make it pop
    Mick

I've been sanding and polishing stuff for a couple of weeks now. Got the Dana 44 case prepped and ready to shoot primer, then off to get assembled. I polished my stainless mufflers and pipes but have one more joint to weld on them. I have a hard time getting a nice polish on the stainless, and it's so awkward to hold onto the buffer. If anyone is contemplating using stainless tubing bends to build a system, I recommend polishing all the pieces first, before welding them together. I got mine buffed with scotchbrite but that's as far as I went. Good thing I did that.

The aluminum is sooooooo much easier to polish. I deburred the parts to remove all the forging seams and dings, then I hit some spots with scotchbrite. I sanded with 180 to get the parts smoothed out, then 320, then 600. I find that 600 is all I need to go to get a good polish with the buffer and green compound.

Here's a couple pics of what I've buffed so far. Some of the other parts are sanded, ready for buffing. The bottom one shows the upper a-arm stock (hard to see the forging seam), sanded to 600, and polished. The pics really don't show the shine very well.

Once I get everything to this polish level, I plan to hit them all again with white compound on a clean cotton buff, clean them really good, then coat everything with Cerakote clear.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by chevynut; 11-24-2015 at 07:48 PM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:530
    Dang...that looks great Laszlo.
    BLING.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Member #:1625
    Chevynut

What control arm bushings are you using?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mmsalt View Post
    What control arm bushings are you using?
    Years ago I bought a front and rear rebuild kit from P-S-T and I plan to use them. They're polygraphite.

"PST perfected polyurethane with the introduction of POLYGRAPHITE® - a special formula incorporating a low-friction graphite lubricant into the actual bushing material. With POLYGRAPHITE®, you get the near-zero deflection performance of polyurethane with a self-lubricating bushing. As an added benefit, POLYGRAPHITE® is impervious to grease, oil, weather, and other natural elements and will never dry rot. PST has the most complete line of POLYGRAPHITE® bushings available for your musclecar. Replace components as needed, or save time, money, and reap the ultimate performance benefits by installing one of our Complete POLYGRAPHITE® Kits on your vehicle today!"

http://www.p-s-t.com/

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

I was gone on vacation for a couple of weeks but got back last weekend so I've been out in the shop most of the time since returning. My first task was to prime my differential housing, batwing, torque arm, and torque arm brackets. I got that done, at least the first coat. It's all sanded. Once I get the diff gears installed I'll spray another coat, sand all the parts, and paint them charcoal.

I've also been working on prepping some bolts, nuts, washers and other hardware for zinc plating. I used glass beads to clean everything up and I hae most of the parts ready. I'm going to do what I can in one batch, but I'm sure I'll forget something. I found a couple of platers in Denver that do barrel zinc plating cheap.

Today I decided to dive in and get my exhaust welding done. I drilled the holes for the O2 bungs in my headers and welded them in. I got some tips on stainless welding from a couple of guys and a Miller rep at SEMA and tackled welding the flanges onto my cutout turndowns and the collector extensions that they bolt to. So all I have left is to weld on new tailpipes at the rear (due to changing my hangers) along with the tips.

Attached Images Attached Images

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:2581
    Nice job!