Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Stainless steel Wire braided power steering hose

Member #:1546

Stainless steel Wire braided power steering hose

I'm getting ready to build power steering hoses. I saw two tri-five's at Bowling Green with braided power steering hoses blown off their a/n fittings. Is there a problem with this material for power steering or was it a workmanship issue when they made the hoses ?

Member #:115
    They probably didn't tighten the fitting nuts down enough. It's like making a loose crimp on a crimped hose end. I don't think any of the manufacturers give good instructions for how tight to make these connections. These fitting are some of the best on the market if used correctly.

The other issue is that today there's several different manufacturers of stainless braided hose, and each of them require their own hose ends. If you try to mix and match them you may find they don't work together.

These stainless braided hoses are used extensively in aircraft and race cars, and if assembled correctly they are very reliable.
    Last edited by chevynut; 10-06-2015 at 07:39 PM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:1608
    I have a used setup if your interested. I went with a hydraboost so dont need it anymore. PM me if interested.

Joey

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I know that some manufacturers have reuseable hose ends but I prefer crimped ends for high pressure. The rest is as Cnut said, you can't mix different manufacturer's hose and fittings, and you have to prep the hose and assemble the fitting correctly.

Most if not all of the stainless braided hose for the pressure used on power steering is going to have a Teflon liner.

Registered Member

Member #:2643
    I would recommend using teflon lined stainless braided hose for at least the high pressure side, along with steel fittings of the same brand.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I had the braided steel #10 fuel line on my race car turn into a soaker hose in 4 years. My Dads Mustang ever faster, I don't think some this stuff is up to par.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Modern name brand hoses don't do this. If in doubt, use the Teflon lined stuff for fuel too.

Member #:1546
    Thanks everyone for your experiences and advice.