Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Door differences

Registered Member

Member #:2746

Door differences

Hey guys, working on a 57 convert and I have doors but with typical repairs needed on lower and would require new skins. I have found a person who has a new pair of 2 door hardtop door assemblies still in the box locally for sale. Are hardtop doors the same as the convertible? I know the chrome/stainless trim on top of the vent window is different but I wasn't sure about the 'painted' door assemblies themselves? Can anyone advise before I pay for door assemblies and find out they will not work on my convertible?

Registered Member

Member #:2437
    The basic door is the same. The top 5 inches of the metal vent post is different. If you have "true" convertible doors now. You can drill out a few spot welds, and cut the outer section off and then reverse the procedure on the new door. That is the only difference, and a lot easier then replacing a rusty bottom or skin

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by 55wagoncrazy View Post
    The top 5 inches of the metal vent post is different. That is the only difference, and a lot easier then replacing a rusty bottom or skin
    What is the actual difference? I think the vent windows are the same except for the latch, and the height of the door post should be the same.

If it's that close to being the same, why don't they repop the convertible doors too?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:2437
    The hardtop door front post stainless trim is notched for the flippers to fold down into. The metal post is also made to accept this. The front outer section of metal is all that is different. You can also remove the top 5 inches from the nomad and sport sedan doors to graft to the hardtop door. Way more hardtop doors were made than convertible doors by the factory. Lots of convertible doors that were damaged in accidents have had hardtop doors installed. This will also result in the front post rubbing the stainless trim on the front inner windshield post as well.

I think repro's are available for both now. He had just located some hardtop doors and whated to know if they would work.