Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Freshening up my Ramjet 502

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Big engines perform better with a narrow LSA (if max power is the goal).
    A narrow LSA moves torque downward in RPM and increases maximum torque but narrows the torque band.
    A wide LSA moves torque upward, decreases torque, and widens the band.
    I think you've generalized way too much and have come to some incorrect conclusions.

Big engines are less sensitive to LSA, and certainly don't necessarily need small LSAs.

A small LSA doesn't move the torque curve downward. It does make it narrower. The rpm where the best torque is made is dependent on duration.

A wide LSA doesn't move the torque curve upward. It does make it wider.

A wide LSA does make idle tuning easier. That's why an LS7 can idle at 500 rpm and make good power up to 6000 rpm.

Vizard explains that the ideal LSA for a given combination is dependent on intake flow/intake valve size relative to engine size. If the intake size/flow is compromised for whatever reason, then narrow LSA is probably in order. RPM is a factor here too. I.e., how big does the intake valve need to be for a given engine size/rpm limit?

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Big engines are less sensitive to LSA, and certainly don't necessarily need small LSAs.
    Vizard says otherwise as I posted before.

A small LSA doesn't move the torque curve downward. It does make it narrower. The rpm where the best torque is made is dependent on duration. A wide LSA doesn't move the torque curve upward. It does make it wider.
    COMP Cams says otherwise:

http://www.compcams.com/Pages/413/ca...ion-angle.aspx

Vizard explains that the ideal LSA for a given combination is dependent on intake flow/intake valve size relative to engine size. If the intake size/flow is compromised for whatever reason, then narrow LSA is probably in order. RPM is a factor here too. I.e., how big does the intake valve need to be for a given engine size/rpm limit?
    Vizard says that ALL big cubic engines, like BBCs, are under-valved. So a narrow LSA generally helps increase power.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I have ran with hundreds of guys over the past 40 some years on the street and strip and have yet to see anyone make such a big deal out of cam selection. Maybe its a show car thing and I just don't understand.

Member #:115
    So why do you bother reading any of this if you don't understand? Just go away if you don't understand that I'm trying to pick a cam for a particular application and goal in mind. Unlike you, I don't just stab a cam in and call it good and if the car flops just try another one. I want to understand what makes them work for my application. You said more duration.....that shows what you know. LOL! Not one cam manufacturer I've talked to is suggesting significantly more duration. You're so stuck in the 60's that nothing you say matters today anyhow.

It's funny how you have never shown any pics of your cars or do anything to them that you post here. All you do is criticize what others do and tell how your stuff is supposedly better yada, yada. I'll bet your car is a total hacked up POS and you're too embarrassed to show it.
    Last edited by chevynut; 05-04-2016 at 03:12 PM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:571
    You can keep your stock cam and make up what you want for the hand lettered show display! No one will ever know.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Last time you stated this BS Cnut I posted a picture of my 56 and 67 SS 350 sitting in the staging lanes at the dragstrip, or how about my 55 link at the KKOA drags. Now thats two places that your show car will never see. Hardly a day goes buy that someone does not call or ask me for advice on such matters.

Banned

Member #:2775
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    You probably already have the perfect cam, but you will never know, after you have blown a bunch of "extra money" on a different cam you don't even need.
    After over 141 posts on the subject, here was your answer to the best cam for the money. Just run it and see!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789