Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LS3 engine/auto trans installation kits

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by rockytopper View Post
    if your keeping stock fire wall and trifive suspension you are limited on engine placement it has to clear the steering arm mine is 1.5 inches off the firewall at back if heads.
    Rocky, how far forward of "stock" is your engine, and why did you move it so far forward? It sounds like you could have left it a little further back to avoid some of the interference.

When I first set one of these up in a tri5 I put the stock bellhousing and mounts on the LS engine and dropped it into my Nomad which still had the bellhousing frame horns on it. I found I had to space the mounts 2 1/4" forward to clear the firewall. This is where it sat.

Then I designed my LS mounts to put it in the same place on my C4 conversion frames. And this is where it sat in a 57 I built a frame for. It's about as far back as you can go without cutting the firewall:

Attached Images Attached Images
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Cause I screwed up lol. Does that explain it? I had nothing to reference stock location. We are within 1/2 to 3/4 inch the same location looking at your pics. You look to be were most are located. There is just not much of a window fwd and aft. My fwd movement helped a little with trans clearance but as stated limited steering travel.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Your point on the location being a fairly small window is correct from what I know. I think that the "point of reference" is the mystery link.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    I think that the "point of reference" is the mystery link.
    If the bellhousing mounts are still on the frame, it's not too hard to space them 2 1/4" or so forward. Also, a common point of reference between my C4 conversions and the stock frame is the distance from the radiator support holes to the block. I have that measurement somewhere. The difference is that with the front steering rack there is no oilpan interference issue, but the front of the engine has to sit a little higher to clear the rack.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:615
    I haven't used this kit but it seems like the easy way to go.
    http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-ls...1955-1957.html

Chevy LS1, LS2, LS3 & LS6 Engine Installation Kit, With Ceramic Coated Headers, Non-Convertible, 1955-1957

Part #:57-176020-1
    Price: $1,139.99 Kit

Includes All Components Needed To Install An LS Engine
    Works With Automatic Or Manual Transmissions
    Includes Cast Aluminum Oil Pan, Engine Side Mount Kit, Polished Engine Side Mount Adapters, Silver Ceramic Coated Headers & Transmission Crossmember Kit
    Will Also Fit 2000 Or Newer Vortec Engines
    2008 SEMA Best Engineered New Product Runner-Up

Member #:1653
    Nicely pieced together from several manufacturers Tobasco. I wonder sometimes how well they coordinate everything though. Plates are from S&P. Mount towers are from I forget along with a biscuit rubber mount. Might be a decent solution.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Nick, I think those mounts are Chassis Engineering, which is also sold by CCI and Speedway. At one time they had a problem with the engine being too high but I think that's been fixed with a thinner rubber biscuit.

Is that the Holley pan in that kit?

In the case of the OP I would not waste my money on a all in one kit. The holley pan kit cost about 320$. Any trifive cross member for a 700r will work with the ls install. The newer LS3 Camaro engine appears to have engine stands very close to the vet ls2 I installed. It is very easy to make or have made engine frame mounts to use with energy suspension donut style mounts. Just set the motor in for best fit and tack weld in the engine and trans mounts. Even the kits require welding or drilling. There are several headers that work or just keep the stock manifolds they fit the trifive perfect. In my case having the engine fwd allows for the trans dipstick(stock) to fit. I also have a little better access to the oil sensor behind the intake which is a pain to get to. Although I lost steering travel with oil pan location it doesn't matter sense my new hellwig sway bar hits a stock tire p205/75/15 about the same time the steering link contacts oil pan. I have to wonder if hellwig figured most folks would use disc brakes that pushed the wheel out 5/8 or better. In my case I didn't I kept it close to stock width.

For reference this is a link see below to my installation. Warning Don't panic about large hole cut in floor to clear 6 speed. My entire floor is getting replaced so we made sure it was going to fit first time in. Now installed the toe board and access plate can be left. The main floor hump will need to be split and moved up about 1/2 inch in center to clear trans. The weld seam edge on toe board hump if left in place has to be removed to clear trans.
    http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135892
    Last edited by rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017; 11-24-2015 at 10:54 AM.

I still don't understand why you're working so hard to keep that battery box in the stock location. It's a real eyesore, Rocky!!!

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    I still don't understand why you're working so hard to keep that battery box in the stock location. It's a real eyesore, Rocky!!!
    So are LS motors but I never let that stop me lol.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast