Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LS3 engine/auto trans installation kits

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by rockytopper View Post
    So are LS motors but I never let that stop me lol.
    You have a point there.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by rockytopper View Post
    So are LS motors but I never let that stop me lol.
    Now that honesty.

Registered Member

Member #:2727
    Rick,

I think LS1, LS2, and LS3 engines are all the same when it comes to how the engine mounts attach to the block. Therefore, they all use the same design adapter plate bolt hole pattern and how the upper half of the stock side mount engine mount attaches to it. I'll likely seek out a kit, from Earle Williams or other maker, that will allow me to move the engine forward enough to clear the stock firewall. Thanks for the info you guys are providing. Another question. I noticed several mentions of interference with stock steering arems. I've seen a kit to switch to rack and pinion steering so I can eliminate that big, slopping steering gear box. With the switch to a holley oil pan set-up and a rear mounted rack & Pinion set-up, will that reduce or eliminate steering restrictions? Thanks Paul

Registered Member

Rocky. Pictures are worth a 1,000 words. Thanks for posting a link to them. I knew toe board weld seam would need modification for proper clearance but it's good to know the toe board and access plate area can stay stock and will clear the trans. Also you said any tri-five trans cross member for a 700R4 will work, but does that hold true for the 6l80? I suspect it does because most kits I see, you position your engine trans in the frame, mount the trans crossmember to the trans, locate and tack/bolt the crossmember mounting brackets to the frame, then bolt the crossmember to the frame brackets.. The only variable is the bolt pattern for the trans mount bracket on the crossmember. Can you comment on that? Please keep posting pics. It is really helpful.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    vetman, steering clearance is not as easy as steering box vs. rack. A rack has its own steering clearance problems, as it's difficult to get the steering shaft by the front tube. Both can work with the right layout of exhaust and steering components. As a good example, Hooker sells one set of LS headers specifically for a box, and another set specifically for a rear mount rack and pinion. You might look into those, as Hooker also sells engine mounts that work with each version.

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    The trans mount is stock unit samed used on 350, 400, 700 4l60 etc. That's why I assume most any trans cross member should work. The 500 box is suppose to be a good solution if you want to stay with gearbox. Probably wise to buy everything from Holley as Rick is suggesting if you want a rack and headers.

Registered Member

Has any one out there ever used a Street Rod Garage frame with the Corvette IFS and IRS. They offer a frames where you can bolt on either C4 or C5/C6 IFS/IRS components. I like the idea of having a GM based, fully independent chassis because parts are readily available, reasonably priced, perform very well, and give a comfortable ride. Art Morrison makes a great chassis, but if you want to step up to their IRS, it is $8K over the 4-bar rear, which is pretty dear. You also have to use Wilwood or other after market manufacturers for the brake system. Street Rod Garage offers a similar set-up but with fully rebuilt Z06 components for under $20K. Basic frame for this starts about $6500. Would save me a couple years of work to buy a complete chassis like this. Just curious if anyone has any experience with this vendor and if so. how was the fitment, were any body alterations required, and if so, what.
    Last edited by vetmann; 12-19-2015 at 08:31 PM. Reason: spelling corrections

Registered Member

Rick,
    I was planning on using the stock manifolds from the donor car... a 2013 Camaro 2ss. I know headers would give more power, they also present numerous issues. I thought I'd save a little money right now and just use the OEM manifolds. Have you ever used, or know anyone who has used, Street Rod Garage frames or chassis components?

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    If you want to go aftermarket chassis check out C'nuts offerings. His website is at the top of the page classic edge designs. His prices are about as good as you will find for C4 setup under a trifive. I actually found this site after seeing his nomad build. I was considering a C4 rear but decided to go with bolt on stuff sense I wished to keep my spare tire well etc all stock.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123