Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10% Ethanol mess

Member #:115
    What crawled up your ass and died today ? You have an issue with me hating carburetors for some reason? LMAO!!!

You asked a question and I answered it. Chill out, dude.
    Last edited by chevynut; 12-06-2015 at 08:46 PM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:530
    I'm laughing at Rick's comment too.
    I too am done with carbs...
    Any more cars I build will be EFI and I'm looking forward to learning the tuning game with the LS1 in my Nomad.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I like carbs, you don't need a $500 POS electric fuel pump to run one. Never seen a consistent EFI bracket car either.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    What crawled up your ass and died today
    Your pompous-assed comment is what it was.

I'd rather have EFI on that car too, but it doesn't have it now and that's what I'm dealing with.

Registered Member

Member #:2171
    Starbrite published this on Ethanol a while back : Excessive water in the fuel and phase separation, " Ethanol attracts moisture from the atmosphere, forming an ethanol/water solution mixed in the gasoline. Ethanol-blended fuel will naturally hold .5% water in suspension, but when water levels exceed this threshold, or when the fuel cools significantly, the water / ethanol mix drops out of suspension. This is phase separation. Excessive water in the fuel tank causes engines to run rough, stall, and can lead to internal damage to engine components. Ethanol provides a significant amount of the fuel's octane, so when the ethanol/ water solution separates and drops to the bottom of the tank, the remaining fuel is left with out enough octane to properly operate the engine.
    Additionally, the ethanol/water solution can become partially combustible, which can lead to engine damage." this is from the small engine industry probably 90% of the starting and carb problems I see in small engines is related to ethanol. Briggs and Stratton says phase separation can start in as little as 30-45 days if not treated with an additive to help combat the problem. long term storage with ethanol blended fuel is not a good thing.

Registered Member

royk, your comments ring true with my buddy who operates a small engine repair business. I mix 50% BP Gold with 50% Renegade 110 with Stihl oil in my chainsaws, demolition saw and weedeater. Local BP dist. claims the Gold has no ethanol and race gas can sit for a couple years easy.

Registered Member

Back when I was racing, if I ever had race gas that I felt was a bit old, it went in the lawnmower. But actually it kept very well, at least for lawnmower requirements, up to 2 years as markm said (VP C-14).

The smell of burned race gas also made for more pleasant thoughts while mowing too, LOL!

Registered Member

Member #:2171
    VP has a non-ethanol small engine fuel that is 94 octane rating

Registered Member

Rick my wood cutting buddies like the smell when I cut firewood too, I was a die hard VP user until a local oil company hooked up with Renegade and I tried their 110. I tell people with backup generators all the time they should be using racing gas but it sounds like VP has that covered. ROYK does Palmer Race Fuels in Manhattan have the small engine fuel, I know the strip owner is a die hard VP dealer.

Registered Member

What does the VP small engine fuel cost?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast