Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Power steering pump for C4 rack and pinion

Member #:2442

Power steering pump for C4 rack and pinion

I have a question on the power steering pump required for a C4 Corvette steering rack. Do you need to use a pump specific to the C4 Corvette? Or will any GM power steering pump work?
    Thanks for the help.
    Brian

Member #:115
    I'm not sure if "any" PS pump will work but I think you can use any "type 2" GM pump. That's what I'm using and I think it may be the same as what the C4 Corvettes used.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

How can you tell if it's a type 2 pump? I'm asking cuz a have couple of old pumps laying around but I'm not sure what they are from. Also what size should the pulley be? My wife's 90 is a serpentine belt set up, but I will be using v belts.
    Thanks, Brian

Member #:115
    The size of the PS pulley depends on the size of the crank pulley. You could measure your wife's and find out what the ratio is. On the other hand, maybe they're all the same...I don't know.

Here's some info that might help:

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/chassis...ering-secrets/

Here's what a type 2 pump looks like....Summit sells them or you could probably find one in a salvage yard or on eBay. I'm not sure what year of cars have them but I think most of the later model GM vehicles do and you could probably find one with the bracket and pulley attached.

56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Thanks, Lots of good info. My old pumps must be the Saginaw type as they look completely different.
    Brian

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I don't think you even need a "type II" pump. The older style Saginaw pump should be just fine. What you will need is a pressure/flow control valve that's appropriate. That is the valve that's built into the outlet fitting. Again I think most are - rack requirements aren't really different than box requirements. What might be different is that the pressure setting for a heavy vehicle would be higher than a light vehicle.

Sorry though, I don't have specific recommendations.

I looked at our 90 Vette last night and the power steering pump looks like it has the same size pulley as the crankshaft so I would assume a 1 to 1 ratio. The other thing I noticed is that the power steering pump pulley contacts the flat side of the serpentine belt so the rotation would be the opposite of the crankshaft. Is that the way all the type 2 pumps are designed to work? If so I would assume it's probably be best off to use the Saginaw pump with the correct pressure/flow control valve with the v belts. Or am I way out in left field?
    Brian

Registered Member

Member #:532
    Quote Originally Posted by Custer55 View Post
    I looked at our 90 Vette last night and the power steering pump looks like it has the same size pulley as the crankshaft so I would assume a 1 to 1 ratio. The other thing I noticed is that the power steering pump pulley contacts the flat side of the serpentine belt so the rotation would be the opposite of the crankshaft. Is that the way all the type 2 pumps are designed to work? If so I would assume it's probably be best off to use the Saginaw pump with the correct pressure/flow control valve with the v belts. Or am I way out in left field?
    Brian
    My Holley LS Bracket setup uses a 97 and up Vette pump which turns clockwise same as the engine.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Custer, as bluegrass said, they make them both ways.

If you have a way to mount and drive the pump you have, use it. Not sure if Type I and Type II pressure/flow controls are interchangeable as far as mounting in the pump, they may be.