Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Louvers for a 35 Chevy

Member #:3
    Same thing done to my coupe

IMO much better than a Personalized Plate.
    Attached Images Attached Images

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Member #:2017
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I totally get it, I built my 55 to look like the cars I admired growing up in the 60s. I was too young to buy one then, When I got my first car in the early 70s a 56ht I did not have the money or talent. It was too easy to buy a Camaro and go. What diff. & trans. did they choose

327, 200R4, and a Winters Banjo rear...
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by MP&C View Post

327, 200R4, and a Winters Banjo rear...
    Cool love the 327, now to be honest when I was street racing in the 70s, if it was not a 350 I was not interested. However I just spent some coin on resurrecting one for my 56 to replace the 69 model 300hp 350 I built the first time in 76. Nice choice on rear axle too, was hoping it was at least a 55-57 Chev or early Olds, but that's even better. As far as trans goes, I am guilty of late model OD in my 56 a 700 and 55 a Tremec

Yesterday I rode up to York PA for the final day of the Street Rod Nationals.. I went to see the Dave Thomas 35 Chevy in person, now that is was all painted in it's full glory.

Front and back:

While I was there, Dave (the owner) got called up to the winners circle, the car received a Pro's Pick award..

Just look at the fit, finish, gaps, panel alignment, etc. Cody Walls really hit a home run with this build.

Pictures don't do it justice. I think the next show they're taking it to will be GoodGuys Columbus, if any of you are local there be sure to check it out!!
    Robert

Had a visitor in the shop yesterday, collaborating with Cody Walls of Traditional Metalcraft (Milton, DE) on adding some louvers to an Austin Healey project he has in his shop. We got the bonnet done yesterday, and I had to modify my radius fixture for the boot as it had too much crown to simply louver while flat. So that is yet to come.

Time lapse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0zjX58BDgM

Modifying our radius fixture for louvering the boot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_0rl50XxzM

Here's pictures of the project car in Cody's shop for reference. Photo credit Traditional Metalcraft. Follow the progress on his build @eastcoastchanneljob on IG or Traditional Metalcraft on FB. This car is sporting a Honda S2000 drivetrain, should be a handful..

Robert

Cody set the hood (bonnet) on the Austin Healey to get a look see on the louvers....

…..and this past Tuesday he came back to the shop so we could finish up the louvers in the trunk lid (boot). I must say this was the most involved and challenging louver job we have done so far. The trunk lid has a lot of crown, and with a 6” rise in the center, we needed to use the rotation fixture ala Mini Cooper wheel hub. We added to this a hinge mechanism to allow rotation up and down. The limits of the machine's throat height and high crown also meant we'd have to punch half the louvers from back end first, then rotate the lid and tooling and approach the rest from the front end. Now given the extreme flex/twist that the .050 aluminum is prone to, we needed to make sure the cut pattern would be parallel to the last set at the point we rotated from front to back. This required some "gusset" straps clamped in place to limit the twist.

Before this was added, any twist of the panel would change the outer limits of the cut +/- 1/4". Here's the wheel hub arrangement along with the hinges for up and down adjustment. We needed adjustments along 3 different axis to be able keep all the louvers running true and parallel.

….and we're off....

At this point we were 4 hours in to measuring, clamping, test run (drag the cutter against the panel to scribe the location), rotate 180 front to back, and test the pattern again, just to get to where we could start cutting. …..and another 4 hours to go before we finished. All told, with the time Vince and I spent Saturday working out clamping methods and other details, the layout was approx 4 times that of what it took to do the actual cutting.

….and the time lapse video of the process..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMmm...ature=youtu.be

Yesterday Cody sent me pictures of the trunk lid installed.. These louvers really change the attitude of the car... Badass....

Robert

Member #:3217
    Fantastic metalwork... as always with Robert!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345