Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: coolant level

Member #:2285

coolant level

Hello Guys,

From what i have read, it appears to be somewhat normal for the coolant level to stay about an inch or so down LOW from the open cap area. I'm running a standard radiator in v8 position with 10# cap and no matter how many times i fill er up to the top, she always pukes out a certain amount and then stays at that level. Due to her NOT running hot i have ignored it thus far, but would like to know IF this can be fixed & how or should i just leave it be??

I guess it's just a visual thing, when i pop the cap to check the coolant..... i DON'T like seeing it low.

Banned

Member #:2775
    If you run a coolant recovery tank, it would refill itself every time it cooled back off, and will automatically stay at the correct level, without losing a drop.

Thanks 55,

I kinda thought that's what i needed, Do you recommend any specific size and or type / brand??

Banned

You can look for anything that might work out of the junk yard, or even buy a plastic universal one for a few bucks, and find a place to hide it. Any small vented container with a submerged hose to the over flow will work

Registered Member

Member #:2171
    Before recovery tanks were used the level was left low to allow for expansion of the coolant when hot, as long as it's stays the same on the oe style radiator no real need for a tank. cross flow radiators work with the tanks

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The 1" below the cap neck is perfectly normal. That's the way the system was designed to be run. You won't puke out fluid unless the engine overheats.

Keep in mind that with a downflow radiator, as long as you have any coolant in the tank, you get full cooling capacity - coolant will flow into all the tubes, which is where the cooling is done.

Contrarily, with a crossflow radiator, if you don't have the radiator full to the neck, you won't get full fluid flow through the top tube - so you lose capacity. So with this kind you need a coolant recovery tank.

Banned

I would think a recovery tank would be a benefit to any style radiator. If it overheats, it will pull coolant back in when cool, instead of dumping it on the ground.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 12-19-2015 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Contrarily, with a crossflow radiator, if you don't have the radiator full to the neck, you won't get full fluid flow through the top tube - so you lose capacity. So with this kind you need a coolant recovery tank.
    Thanks for explaining Rick

I never really thought about it like that.