Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Fuel Tank Filler Neck Position

Registered Member

Member #:532

Fuel Tank Filler Neck Position

I'm ready to mount my fuel tank to my chassis and could really use some info.Can anyone tell me dimensional info for the fuel tank filler neck position on s 57 2Dr H/Top? Top of frame rail to center and center of rear body mounting hole to center would be very helpful as I don't have a body currently available measure. Nick P. Was kind enough to give me a drawing awhile back but unfortunately a hard drive crash has resulted in its loss. Thanks

Member #:115
    Bluegrass, I'm pretty darn sure all the cars (non-wagons) from 55-57 had the tank filler hole in the same location. The frames are essentially the same and so are the gas tanks from year to year across all models. The trunk floors are the same too, so the tanks all mount the same. The only difference in the 55-6 and 57 tanks is the vent tube on the 57.

I have a 56 sedan I could measure if I knew exactly what you were looking for. I think what you want is the position of the center of the stock fuel tank filler hole relative to the frame, correct? I don't know if I can get the position relative to the center of the body mount hole since the body is on top of it. How about from the front of the rear crossmember or some other point?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Bluegrass, I'm pretty darn sure all the cars (non-wagons) from 55-57 had the tank filler hole in the same location. The frames are essentially the same and so are the gas tanks from year to year across all models. The trunk floors are the same too, so the tanks all mount the same. The only difference in the 55-6 and 57 tanks is the vent tube on the 57.

I have a 56 sedan I could measure if I knew exactly what you were looking for. I think what you want is the position of the center of the stock fuel tank filler hole relative to the frame, correct? I don't know if I can get the position relative to the center of the body mount hole since the body is on top of it. How about from the front of the rear crossmember or some other point?
    My car has new rear rails so I only have the top of the frame height and the body mounts in common with a stock chassis. If you could get me top of the frame to the neck and maybe the body bushing (with the diameter of the bushing)to the filler neck would work. Thanks!

Member #:115
    Okay, I got done working in the shop today and crawled under my 56 sedan.

The BOTTOM of the fuel filler tube is 3/4" above the frame. I think it's 2" in diameter which would make the center of the tube 1 3/4" above the top of the frame. From the center of the body mount on this car it's 14 1/4" forward to the center of the filler tube.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Okay, I got done working in the shop today and crawled under my 56 sedan.

The BOTTOM of the fuel filler tube is 3/4" above the frame. I think it's 2" in diameter which would make the center of the tube 1 3/4" above the top of the frame. From the center of the body mount on this car it's 14 1/4" forward to the center of the filler tube.
    Thank you very much! That'll get me going.