Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Question

Registered Member

Member #:2817

Exhaust Question

Hi guys, i am replacing the entire exhaust system on my 57 chevy. I am going with Shortie style headers, and pypes street pro exhaust kit. The pypes kit begins at the crossmember, and i was wondering if anyone would know what the angle would be from the headers to the exhaust pipe? I know i need a piece of pipe to go there, but i have no idea what angle size. I am trying to order everything at once so i can get it done in one weekend. Thank

Member #:115
    IMO it's unlikely that you're going to be able to find the correct angle bend, unless you custom order one. Is that what you're doing? IMO the best way would be to get mandrel bends and cut them at the angle you need, then weld straight tubes onto them.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    I used a pypes exhaust system same mufflers on my nomad. They make down pipes for some headers for the small block might check with pypes. I Installed an ls2 with stock exhaust manifolds and did exactly what Cnut suggested. I installed everything then determined what angles of mandrel bend tubes Then ordered them and cut to fit. Paid local shop to tig them up with flanges. Good luck. I kept the frame horns so a frame without them could be tucked up higher.
    Rocky

Registered Member

That would probably be my best bet..get it all on and then see what i need. I am definitely going with the mandrel bends. Thanks guys, i appreciate it!

You may have to relocate the Ebrake brackets on the back of the frame. They are very tight to the exhaust and the cables drag across the mufflers with them in the stock location.
    Rocky

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by rockytopper View Post
    You may have to relocate the Ebrake brackets on the back of the frame. They are very tight to the exhaust and the cables drag across the mufflers with them in the stock location.
    Rocky
    Another way to deal with that might be to use some Lokar sheathed e-brake cables and attach them to the body out of the way. I think you could still use the stock linkage .
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

The kit is made for 55-57 chevy bel air, so i dont think we'll have a problem, but we'll see when we get it. Thanks

Its may he made for it so to speak but they are a pain believe me. Mine was made for a 1955 nomad wagon and I basically had to rebuilt the back have from Scratch. Good luck.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Its tight but have a functioning stock e-brake in my 55 with 2.5 pipes, my biggest hurtle was the drive shaft as far as clearance.

Registered Member

Hey guys, the exhaust is in. I had to modify the e-brake bracket, but besides that everything else cleared. The only problem i have now is it is leaking at the slip joints, but only the ones on the top. I was thinking about welding the joints. What do you guys think?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast