Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Beware:Griffin Cross Flow Aluminum Radiator & Vintage Air Condenser problems

Registered Member

Member #:2387

Beware:Griffin Cross Flow Aluminum Radiator & Vintage Air Condenser problems

I purchased a VA kit for my 57 150 2dr sedan, 372ci. The condenser kit VA sells for the Griffin Radiator comes with hard lines that route under the radiator. Griffin added a trans cooling tank to the bottom of these radiators over 5 years ago, this info according to a VA tech I spoke with at the Tri-Five Nationals. The included condenser kit lines are useless, won't fit because of the transmission cooling tank. I had to buy straight lines & bend to work through side panels.

Also the way the condenser mounts to the front of the radiator by drilling & using included sheet metal screws makes it easy to penetrate the cross flow. There is very little space to clear the tubes & I drilled into one side & pierced another place with the sharp point sheet metal screw that went in a little crooked. Impossible for me to weld, so I used Marine JB Weld, so far so good but extremely frustrating & delay.

In my opinion: Vintage Air should stop selling this kit until updated to fit (correct hard lines) & warn of possible tube damage due to close proximity when mounting as designed, or better yet, re-design the mounting arrangement.
    Danny57.

Member #:115
    Did you give this feedback directly to Vintage Air? If not, you should.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:1608
    Not that it helps in your application, but the PRC units the top and bottom tubes are blanks. Sorry to hear about that.

Registered Member

Yes Chevynut I did give the same information to Vintage Air, but haven't heard anything & don't teally expect to hear anything. Just hope they clean this up before anyone else suffers through the same frustration & expense I experienced.
    I still love Vintage Air equipment, just needs some tweaking on that particular condenser.
    d

Registered Member

Do you ever feel ignored? It's been almost 3 weeks & I have no response from Vintage Air. I sent it to sales & technical. If anyone has the email address of the founder/owner, I be he would respond.
    Let me know if you have a contact for him.
    Vintage Air makes great products & I can't believe this should go unanswered. I'm stubborn like that.
    Danny

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I would call not email.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    I would call not email.
    I always call, have not had great success with email on these matters.