Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Look what I found when I disassembled my "stock" '57 front suspension!

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I've never seen anything like that.

Looks like it's stock control arms with the lower ball joint adapted from something. I do see that the steering arms appear to be from the same car as the spindles.

Also looks like there are a bunch of shims on the upper control arms - that makes sense since the steering inclination angle of the Chevelle/Camaro spindles is greater than the original spindles.

Stock drums would be 11", and the Chevelle/Camaro ones 9.5".

Member #:115
    Wow, he just turned the balljoint upside down? They aren't made to run that way and would have failed at some point. Looks really dangerous to me.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:2643
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    I've never seen anything like that.

Looks like it's stock control arms with the lower ball joint adapted from something. I do see that the steering arms appear to be from the same car as the spindles.

Also looks like there are a bunch of shims on the upper control arms - that makes sense since the steering inclination angle of the Chevelle/Camaro spindles is greater than the original spindles.

Stock drums would be 11", and the Chevelle/Camaro ones 9.5".
    I didn't measure the stack up of shims, but I would bet there was about an inch of shims in there. The drum brake parts are in the trash can, but I would say that they were 9.5" drums. The car didn't come with drums, but I can verify by measuring the backplates.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Isn't a 64-72 Chevelle ft. steer, so steering arms must be 1st gen Camaro rear steer. Was this car driven on road like this or just thrown together to sell.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Wow, he just turned the balljoint upside down? They aren't made to run that way and would have failed at some point. Looks really dangerous to me.
    This car was getting restoration work done at a resto shop in Chattanooga, when for reasons unknown to me, the business was suddenly shut down, and shortly thereafter, the contents of the building were auctioned off. At the time of the sudden closure, the car was completely apart, with the body still on a rotisserie, frame was bare, etc. The PO who won the car at the auction had to assemble the car enough to be able to roll it onto his trailer and bring it home. Maybe it was then that they had to cobble together the front suspension with parts they found inside that shop. That's my best guess, anyway.

Member #:115
    To me it looks like they took the original balljoint and ground the sides off of it so they could turn it upside-down. That style of balljoint is meant to run with the force pushing on the stud, not pulling on it.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:571
    X2 on what Cnut said about the upside down ball joint.

Hard to say for sure what it would take but it appears that putting it back to stock or to use aftermarket parts for a 55-57 wouldn't be all that difficult. Question is could you use those control arms, probably could.
    Last edited by Rick_L; 02-09-2016 at 09:47 AM.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I wonder if my 55 was ever owned by the previous owner of this 57, they similar qualities.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    X2 on what Cnut said about the upside down ball joint.

Hard to say for sure what it would take but it appears that putting it back to stock or to use aftermarket parts for a 55-57 wouldn't be all that difficult. Question is could you use those control arms, probably could.
    Soon, the A-arms will be scrap metal.

Registered Member

I'm going to be in the market for 55-57 steering arms, as the ones I have are matched to those spindles. If anyone here has nice used ones they'd like to sell, PM me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast