Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newer style center link and pitman arm?

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I really think this is a pretty good design. About all I remember doing to center link was cleaning it and checking for wear.

Banned

Member #:2941
    On one of my '55s back in the early '70s, I modified the drag link and idler arm setup so it was easier to steer and to take the slop out. But now of days you can buy kits to replace the idler arm bushings with bearings. If these kits are as good as the old Moog replacement idler arms that were factory built with bearings then they would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Where the pitman arm connected, I just disassembled it and then cleaned it out with kerosene whilst I had the drag link off the car and after it was dry, reassembled the joint with new grease. I did add a hardened flat washer to each side, between spring end and cups that fit on either side of ball on pitman arm to increase spring pressure and tighten the joint a bit though. Worked just fine.

As Rick mentioned earlier, I believe the pitman arm connection has spring loaded cups to dampen road shock from being transferred to steering box, steering column and steering wheel. These cars in their original configuration were built without rag joints to prevent transfer of shock.

Happy Motoring,

Harry
    Last edited by enigma57; 08-22-2016 at 04:11 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12