Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Need Help Identifying trans

Member #:516

Need Help Identifying trans

Hello All,

I'm trying to help my dad ID a tranny that he has. I think it's a Borg-Warner T10, The case has T10 D-1 on it and the Tail shaft housing has T10-7D and 9-29-62 date on it. It has a Bowtie on it too. It also has WK 42 3 31001329 on it. Can anyone help us out? Thanks.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Not sure what info you want. Lacking detailed decoding info it would seem that it's a T-10 made in September 1962, so it went in a 63 model Chevy car or Corvette. Remember that the Muncie came out in 63 and replaced the T-10, but it wasn't available early in the 63 model run.

A T-10 would have been available in two gear ratios. 2.54 1st gear and 2.20. Just put it in 1st gear and count the input shaft rotations for one output shaft rotation.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I believe an early T10 is the only 4 speed with a 17 spline output. Later Munchies and Super T10 are 27 or 34 spline output.

Member #:516
    Thanks guys I was trying to figure out what car it may have possibly come out of. My dad is clearing house and is looking for a value. I saw T10's going for up to $1500 for certain cars so I was just wondering.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The Corvette restoration guys are big on correctly date coded transmissions and other components, and pay accordingly. I suppose that the same would apply to 409 Impalas and other full size cars. To most anyone else, a T-10 is worth much less than a Muncie.

A friend has a 62 Corvette that came with a 340hp and 4 speed. He found that he had a 63 transmission, a dealer replacement short block, and a 63 intake manifold. All the pieces are correct, but aren't date coded to match his car. He looked into getting correct date coded parts, and the cost was very high, in fact astounding. That's why he was able to buy it for $40k or so instead of the $50k/$60k range that a more correct car in excellent condition would bring.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Corvette Resto. guys aka Numbers Nazis.