Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Safe to cut this area out while body is on the rotisserie?

Registered Member

Member #:2643
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    My quick analysis agrees with the "215 pound test".

The structure is fine, now it's a matter of how that stuff is attached to that nice box.
    As of right now, the only piece of equipment that I know is going on the deck will be a Diehard battery, housed in an Artec Industries battery box.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    My point on that was that you shouldn't just put a bolt hole out in the middle of the sheet metal with no reinforcement, where it might pull through or distort the sheet metal. Not hard to make right.

Banned

Member #:2775
    I would look to stash the battery lower, and underneath the cover somehow.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    I would look to stash the battery lower, and underneath the cover somehow.
    ???

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    My point on that was that you shouldn't just put a bolt hole out in the middle of the sheet metal with no reinforcement, where it might pull through or distort the sheet metal. Not hard to make right.
    Large OD fender washers will take care of that. Keep in mind, that top sheet metal is 14 gauge CRS.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bitchin'57 View Post
    ???
    Just something to consider. The lower you can mount dead weight, like a battery would be as low, right, and in between the F/R axels, the better is all.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    The lower you can mount dead weight, like a battery would be as low, right, and in between the F/R axels, the better is all.
    Please explain why it's better to put a battery between the front and rear axles.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Please explain why it's better to put a battery between the front and rear axles.
    Might not be possible on a tri-5, but any mass away from the center of the car increases the polar moment of inertia, and mounted high would raise the CG a bit too. The stock battery location is not a very good spot for a battery either. If it could fit, under the rear seat would be the best spot for extra weight. Mounted high on the right rear would be a good spot for forward traction though.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 04-06-2016 at 05:57 AM.

Member #:115
    I understand the polar moment of inertia argument and that's why my Porsche handles so well, since the engine is in front of the rear axle. But from a practical point of view it's not very feasible (or safe) to mount a battery inside the car. Maybe I should have put mine in the console. Since these cars are usually front heavy, wouldn't mounting the additional weight at or behind the rear axle improve weight distribution? Mine is behind the right rear tire, in the wheelwell, about at cargo floor level.

You can nitpick about what's best all day, but in the end the location of a 40 pound battery isn't going to make much difference on anything but an all-out race car, and not much there either. The driver would be better off losing a few pounds.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    I understand the polar moment of inertia argument and that's why my Porsche handles so well, since the engine is in front of the rear axle. But from a practical point of view it's not very feasible (or safe) to mount a battery inside the car. Maybe I should have put mine in the console. Since these cars are usually front heavy, wouldn't mounting the additional weight at or behind the rear axle improve weight distribution? Mine is behind the right rear tire, in the wheelwell, about at cargo floor level.

You can nitpick about what's best all day, but in the end the location of a 40 pound battery isn't going to make much difference on anything but an all-out race car, and not much there either. The driver would be better off losing a few pounds.
    If battery placement makes little difference, why do some OEM's mount the battery under the rear seat, or in the rear?
    Even the C3 Corvette had the battery mounted directly behind the driver seat, and it was acid filled! I would definitely use a AGM battery, which is what I used when I had a C3. The battery can be useful ballast, and actually in the console would be a great place.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast