Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: A/C dash vents 1955-1956

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884

A/C dash vents 1955-1956

Anyone know the source for these dash vents? My buddy installed them with a vintage a/c system but can't remember where he purchased them. They have 2 veins not just one like the eckler brand shows, vintage site does not show them either.
    Thanks
    Rocky

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Why not just install the stock repro a/c vents? IMO they look and work much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Why not just install the stock repro a/c vents? IMO they look and work much better.
    Are the OEM for 2.5 inch dia hose? The 55 vent is a big hole as you know with no veins and 56 is a circle with a tri cross for veins. My main concern is being able to cut all air off on passenger side my wife is very cold natured and I'm opposite always burning up if no air is moving. Someone mentioned you can't shut them off the 55 anyway? is that true. I may just go to the 55 even thou they are very proud of the oem repops if they can be closed off.
    Rocky

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Yes the hose connections on the stock vents are for 2.5" hose.

Not sure if turning the ball 90 degrees would close off the vent completely, it would be close to doing that though. You should check the ones you have in mind for that too. I don't think the vanes are adjustable on those either - they're fixed. The stock style 55 vent is just a hole, and the 56 style vent has that bomb sight (or peace symbol depending on your outlook) but it doesn't do anything.

You could add a flapper valve inline in the hose with either but that's going to be a PITA.

Yes Rick i have the flapper valve in my cutlass and it is a PITA as stated lol.

Rick I thru in the towel and hired a real paint and body guy to take over. My buddy with the dash I posted reminded me today hey you better get your vents cut before it heads to paint lol now its on the hot list.

The VA vents with the single vein appear to be able to close them by simply rotating the vent ball 90 deg. I'm leaning toward going that route because I need to control the passenger side independent of the rest.

Ok I found my on answer my buddy has the VA vents and a different ball they offer. There standard single vein vent closes the air off as I thought so I order those. It is the proline series. They have some much nicer vents that all fit the 55-56 bezel with closing valves etc but only available in brushed aluminum or black anodize finish would look good in a custom interior but not stock IMO.

What you guys think about this vent setup? I was actually considering this yesterday and Mad Mooks posted this awesome 55 nomad video on FB. My VA corner vents will be here today I'm now considering just putting four in the center flat area of the dash like this nomad.
    http://youtu.be/5bWxRGiZzQc