Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: LS1 T56 vs. LT1 T56 similarities/differences

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Did someone say they should be used on a street driven car?

Registered Member

Following up on this thread, and adding to it.

I didn't realize it has been since April that I originally posted. I've been looking for a 98-02 F-body T56, but I haven't seen any at a reasonable price for the condition. Actually I did see one locally, but it was gone before I saw the listing. I did check on the parts to convert my LT1 trans to LS, and this is a viable approach.

Next step is what do I consider for a clutch? Does anyone know who makes the Chevy Performance clutch they recommend for an LS3? Anybody used one? Seems like the aftermarket choices are primarily the dual friction single disc setups from Centerforce or Ram, or the dual disc setup from McLeod. I've always had doubts about the dual friction setups, but have never run one. Likewise I've always thought the dual disc was a liability for shifting.

What is everyone using or planning to use and why?

Member #:115
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

The parts in the link are what I referred to as my "viable" approach. Rockland Standard currently gets $498 for the input shaft, front plate, and small parts. A bellhousing, clutch assembly, and throwout bearing assembly also are needed.

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Rick I assume you have decided to go LS. Do you have one in mind or already have just curious?

Registered Member

Check earlier in the thread. I'm thinking about the 495 hp LS3 crate engine. I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Check earlier in the thread. I'm thinking about the 495 hp LS3 crate engine. I haven't pulled the trigger yet.
    That's a nice piece Rick, you'll enjoy it if you decide on it.

Registered Member

Seems like the aftermarket choices are primarily the dual friction single disc setups from Centerforce or Ram, or the dual disc setup from McLeod.
    I made this comment after doing a quick search at Summit and Jegs, which is where I usually turn first to see what's on the market. The predominant choices were the dual friction, dual disc, and the Chevy Performance unit (LS7).

I did a bit more research on the LS7 clutch; it has mixed reviews. Turns out the LS7 pressure plate, as well as other stock GM LS pressure plates, are "self adjusting", and this is as much of a liability as a benefit. Seems that it doesn't always "adjust" as it should. When new, it often won't disengage enough - you have to wait for it to adjust, and sometimes it doesn't. Also there are claims that it only works well with the Corvette hydraulics which are not readily adaptable to an engine mounted transmission.

The clutch that I saw had the most positive reviews for what I'm doing is the Monster Stage I, which is a non-adjustable pressure plate with a carbon loaded single organic disc. It has 480 rwhp/tq capability, which fits my potential choice of engine nicely.

One other interesting thing I saw was an aftermarket clutch master cylinder which has a 7/8" bore compared to the stock 3/4", and it has an adjustable linkage rod. This lets you tailor the clutch release to where you like it, and the bigger bore gives a bit more travel at the throwout bearing - at the expense of a bit harder pedal.

"Self adjusting" pressure plates were a new one on me. Turns out they are becoming pretty common, especially on European cars.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456