Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: LS1 T56 vs. LT1 T56 similarities/differences

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Thank you very much!

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by NickP View Post
    If I may ask RD, what do you base this upon?
    Here we go again....it's always something. First the way I do the pinion support on my customer frames is no good and a torque arm is "better". Now the torque arm is no good even though it's essentially a ladder bar that doesn't move.

I don't have a heim at the front of my torque arm, it's a poly-bushed rod end. How much load is there at that point, what's the stress on the rod end, and what the breaking strength of that 5/8" thread rod end, RD?

I think you should warn everyone who makes ladder bars that they've been doing it all wrong for the past 50 years too.

Oh, and you should start another thread since it has nothing to do with this one.
    Last edited by chevynut; 04-10-2016 at 02:47 PM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Banned

Member #:2775
    I wasn't the only one that derailed the thread, like on how much torque a 502 has over anything else. Breaking strength has very little to do with dynamic fatigue strength. 600ftlb of torque X gear reduction, plus shock loads, is nothing to worry about, I guess. Poly, or spherical it doesn't matter, because they are designed for push/pull loads. Ladder bars split the loads on the joints, not just a single mount, and it is still not a great idea to put a threaded shaft in a bending moment, period. A coat hanger has a lot of tensile, and shear strength, but bend it back and forth a few times, and snap! You won't find much info out there on bending loads for heim joints, since they are not designed for 90 degree forces. Here is a ton of rod end info. It's great that wagon crazy's project is working out though.
    http://www.aurorabearing.com/technical-resources.html
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 04-10-2016 at 03:38 PM.

Registered Member

Despite the OT stuff, I got the information I wanted, and thank you for any ON TOPIC discussion.

I get the discussion of crate engines, that's only slightly OT, but where does handling and torque arm design come into this? It damn sure doesn't.

The last time I got into shit with Cnut, I was standing up for you, RD. I now realize you're not worth standing up for.

After running the numbers, it looks like I can get there basing the install off my driveshaft length. I'll have to move the trans mount 1/4" forward - there's already a slot in the crossmember to accommodate that. The hole in the tunnel may have to be elongated up to 1/2" forward, that's easy. That leaves me with a calculated 2" forward location of the bellhousing which is at least close. And I could get slightly more if needed and still keep my driveshaft. Looks like I'd need a 1-1/4" forward engine mount adapter plate, which Hooker sells.

Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    I wasn't the only one that derailed the thread, like on how much torque a 502 has over anything else.
    Your post #23 was the first post that I consider off-topic on this thread. We were discussing options for Rick's engine and transmission, and I was trying to help, unlike you who just looks for an opportunity to criticize what others do. You threw in your engine weight issue and how it affects handling, as you're so fond of doing.

That's how you always work....you start off-topic posts and question everything and criticize other people's projects when you haven't shown ONE GODDAM PICTURE of your own projects or anything about anything you've designed or built. If you want to critique someone's design, and claim it to be inadequate, show some numbers that support your ongoing bullshit not just vague claims.

Breaking strength has very little to do with dynamic fatigue strength. 600ftlb of torque X gear reduction, plus shock loads, is nothing to worry about, I guess.
    It's obvious you know nothing about the subject. There's nothing to worry about if the stresses are well below the strength of the materials in question. But you can't seem to understand that concept, you only throw out vague generalizations. I proved how FOS you were several times with your claims of my alleged "inadequate" designs, but it doesn't matter because you don't understand anything about engineered designs. You still criticize because you have ZERO knowledge of engineering calculations. Oh yeah, you claim engineering calculations don't matter because only driving it will tell you if it works, yada, yada.

Poly, or spherical it doesn't matter, because they are designed for push/pull loads. Ladder bars split the loads on the joints, not just a single mount, and it is still not a great idea to put a threaded shaft in a bending moment, period. A coat hanger has a lot of tensile, and shear strength, but bend it back and forth a few times, and snap! You won't find much info out there on bending loads for heim joints, since they are not designed for 90 degree forces. Here is a ton of rod end info. It's great that wagon crazy's project is working out though.
    http://www.aurorabearing.com/technical-resources.html
    Ladder bars have been around for decades with heims on the ends, and they work fine if engineered correctly. The application is similar to my torque arm. It doesn't matter if there's one or two joints, only whether the load can be carried by the joint(s) safely. So what is the actual load on my torque arm, since you're so concerned? Truth is, you don't know.

Besides, why the hell are you so worried about MY design of MY car? Show me calculations that show that the design is inadequate for the loads, if you have any idea how to do it. Throwing out a link with "a ton of rod end info" proves nothing, imo. Show me one thing that website says that proves that my design is "bad" as you seem to think.

If you want to discuss specific parts, engineering calculations, or whatever, start your own goddam thread and quit derailing the threads that others post to discuss their projects or to ask for info.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    After running the numbers, it looks like I can get there basing the install off my driveshaft length. I'll have to move the trans mount 1/4" forward - there's already a slot in the crossmember to accommodate that. The hole in the tunnel may have to be elongated up to 1/2" forward, that's easy. That leaves me with a calculated 2" forward location of the bellhousing which is at least close. And I could get slightly more if needed and still keep my driveshaft. Looks like I'd need a 1-1/4" forward engine mount adapter plate, which Hooker sells.
    Rick, sorry for falling for RD's off-topic crap trap again on your thread.

It looks like everything is going to work out pretty closely. I do think you'll have to change transmissions, or at least change the input shaft. I remember seeing somewhere where you can buy input shafts for that swap....that may be a cheaper way to go.

Also, I'm not sure about your 1 1/4" forward mounts. Do they specify that from the bellhousing face? If so, I guess they would get you to 2" as you showed. I have seen some slotted LS adapter mounts that allow you to move the engine wherever you want it. I'm not sure what the range is.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Banned

Member #:2775
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Your post #23 was the first post that I consider off-topic on this thread. We were discussing options for Rick's engine and transmission, and I was trying to help, unlike you who just looks for an opportunity to criticize what others do. You threw in your engine weight issue and how it affects handling, as you're so fond of doing.

That's how you always work....you start off-topic posts and question everything and criticize other people's projects when you haven't shown ONE GODDAM PICTURE of your own projects or anything about anything you've designed or built. If you want to critique someone's design, and claim it to be inadequate, show some numbers that support your ongoing bullshit not just vague claims.

It's obvious you know nothing about the subject. There's nothing to worry about if the stresses are well below the strength of the materials in question. But you can't seem to understand that concept, you only throw out vague generalizations. I proved how FOS you were several times with your claims of my alleged "inadequate" designs, but it doesn't matter because you don't understand anything about engineered designs. You still criticize because you have ZERO knowledge of engineering calculations. Oh yeah, you claim engineering calculations don't matter because only driving it will tell you if it works, yada, yada.

Ladder bars have been around for decades with heims on the ends, and they work fine if engineered correctly. The application is similar to my torque arm. It doesn't matter if there's one or two joints, only whether the load can be carried by the joint(s) safely. So what is the actual load on my torque arm, since you're so concerned? Truth is, you don't know.

Besides, why the hell are you so worried about MY design of MY car? Show me calculations that show that the design is inadequate for the loads, if you have any idea how to do it. Throwing out a link with "a ton of rod end info" proves nothing, imo. Show me one thing that website says that proves that my design is "bad" as you seem to think.

If you want to discuss specific parts, engineering calculations, or whatever, start your own goddam thread and quit derailing the threads that others post to discuss their projects or to ask for info.
    You always know. Why does the NHRA require safety loops on the front heim joint on ladder bar suspensions? They also require a minimum 3/4 inch joint, not 5/8ths. If your gear ratio in first gear was 3 X 3.70 rear X 600ftlb, wouldn't you have over 6000 pounds of torque on the differential housing, if you had traction? BTW you went OT on post #19, and on every response on a OT comment.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 04-11-2016 at 05:53 AM.

Registered Member

Cnut, I looked at several mounts. Most do reference off the bellhousing face. I also saw three styles of adjustable mounts, plus a drawing for a DIY mount. Lots of choices, something will work. Keep in mind that I'm already 3/4" forward, so that 1-1/4" mount ends up 2" with what's already there.

There is no way I use the transmission "as is", it just doesn't work at all. Either get a 98-02 Camaro trans, or change the input shaft, mid plate, and bellhousing on mine, about $800 worth of parts. Or more if I considered an SFI approved bellhousing.

On the OT ladder bars, not only does NHRA require 3/4" ends with a safety loop, they must be solid eye style, not a spherical bearing.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    It really does not matter what Cnut uses on his car because it is a show car.

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    On the OT ladder bars, not only does NHRA require 3/4" ends with a safety loop, they must be solid eye style, not a spherical bearing.
    Interesting, I haven't seen the 2016 book.

Quote Originally Posted by NHRA - 2015 Rule Book
    3:5 TRACTION BAR ROD ENDSMinimum requirement for rod ends on the front of all ladder-typetraction bars is 3/4-inch steel. A rod end strap to keep ladder barsecured in event of rod end failure mandatory in all classes. All tractiondevices that are not attached at front (i.e., slapper bars, etc.) must havea U-bolt or strap to prevent them from coming in contact with track

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast