Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dropped my '56 off at Cnut's today

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    No I'm refering to their new rear leafs for trifives. Hutch started a thread on the other site inquiring about them and several of us have jumped in and ask what ride height they are design for stock, 1,2 or what drop and they are side steping the question for some unkown reason.
    Last edited by rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017; 04-15-2016 at 01:15 PM.

Member #:115
    Well I can see why they avoid telling customers what the ride height will be, because the weight of the cars varies so much. But I think if they took a KNOWN WEIGHT car and compared with STOCK springs and their new composite spring, it would help. To me the big downside is that I don't think they work with a pocket kit, but I could be wrong. Without it you're limited to a 275 tire. And they seem sorta expensive too.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:2084
    $800 for a set of leaf springs is bonkers. That doesn't even include their bushing/shackle kit which brings it to $1050. No thanks.

Let's keep this thread on topic though.

After running around all morning picking up steel and doing a lot of other crap , I finally got into the shop and removed the jig. I got the rear brakes and tires back on as well, so it's back on the ground. I also checked the clip location to the original marks on the floor, and everything checked out as planned. Here's a pic of the front C4 clip, almost finished. The angle looks a little severe but that's because the front of the car is much higher than the rear so we can get under it to finish the welds. The brace will be removed once all the welding is done. Now I have to round up all of the suspension parts for it.

Attached Images Attached Images

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Back to the comments about the composite Ridetech springs. I had to do some digging on their website to see any photos, they're not really featuring these, and there's no assurance that the photos of the springs are really what they sell for 55-57s. The springs look like the old Camaro/Nova monoleaf springs in that they are wide and thin at the eyes, and narrow and thick in the middle.

I fail to see that there's a new front mount as part of the setup - and that would seem to be a requirement. And it would also seem to be contradictory for a pocket kit since you can't mount a wider spring in a standard pocket kit. To accommodate that, you'd have to splice in a "box" to be the spring pocket - which while not impossible by any means, would be a heck of a lot more work than a pocket kit as we know it.

I guess it's possible that they use narrow eyes with the wide spring end. But that's not what they show.

Rodney's comments about spring clearance, ride height, and some other stuff indicate that he's not familiar at all with 55-57s, and likely hasn't seen his product installed. Maybe not even that much knowledge on Camaros, etc.

I got the impression that they would change the spring eyes from standard to reversed to change ride height. There's no hint at all about arch or knowledge of what stock or other aftermarket pieces do. I understand that car weight can vary and makes a difference, but with a spring rate of 175 lb/in each (350 lb/in for a pair), you ought to be able to predict the ride height within an inch.

Last thought, he talks about "torsional stiffness". At first I didn't get what was meant by that, but finally got it. What he refers to as "torsional stiffness" is very predictable from the spring rate and dimensions. Bottom line is you can't add torsional stiffness with a moderate spring rate unless you do what Chrysler did - have a very short distance from the front spring eye to the axle. And they are not saying they do that! Bottom line is you'll need traction bars with these if you needed them with stock springs.

I became leery of Ridetech when I saw their 100% bolt in 4 bar kit. Not something I'd trust.

Registered Member

Fantastic!

Laz...don't think I ever asked this question. Do you weld on frame horns or does it stay open there (on the very front of the frame)?

Quote Originally Posted by hutchenc View Post
    Do you weld on frame horns or does it stay open there (on the very front of the frame)?
    They stay open, and the bumper covers them up. They're basically like a 57 frame horn.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Thanks Lazlo...didn't realize 57's were like that.

Well here's proof it can be done. . We finished the clip installation today and did the final welding and grinding. I gathered the suspension parts and installed them temporarily. Also found a 30mm Z51 front swaybar that Chad will install.

The welds and plug welds are all ground at the joint but we always recommend using a skim coat of filler so we don't end up grinding too much away. The joints all turned out pretty smooth and the repair patches are invisible. The frame is contoured to match the clip.

After discussing the damaged frame end with Chad, he asked us to take a look at it and see if we could fix it. The hole where the brace goes was pushed inward quite a ways, making the bumper attachment bad. We straightened that area and fixed the smashed end as good as possible, without extensive surgery and replacement of the frame end. Here's a couple before and after shots....

So it's finished and the rest is up to Chad to put together.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:1653
    Cool

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast