Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding a front bench seat

Member #:39
    Quote Originally Posted by LEE T View Post
    I think the important thing is to get the buttons in the right location. Just find some seats that look right to you, and measure where the buttons are located, I haven't installed these yet.
    Buttons are 5½ in. from the side silver pipping on each side and 6¾ from the silver piping on bottom. This is for the front and back. These measurements were taken from an original cover and transferred to my new covers.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    Thanks for posting Clint, I was a little hesitant to do that because I have so many variants on my collection of seats. One is only 4 1/2" from the side, so I think it is just one of those things that wasn't a priority on mass produced cars. I haven't heard anyone complain about the seat button location on their car, but then everyone isn't as particular as some of us.

So I just think it is better to find a car that looks right to you, then get a measurement on it.

Registered Member

Member #:3009

modify seat frame / great article ...i

is it possible to modify 1955 upper seatback frame to conform to 1957 seatback frame?
    I would like to use 1957 seat patterns. If so, do you have a photograph to show me what 1957 frame looks like?

Very informative article / great information and photographs

Quote Originally Posted by LEE T View Post
    The seat backs were done in a similar manner, except its a lot harder to get them to nicely fill the seat cover because its like filling a bag, instead of being able to pull on 4 sides.

The seat shells were stripped, straightened, cleaned, and painted with the same clear epoxy, then a thin layer of foam was glued on. Glue also seemed a better option for the tack strips instead of staples.

The vinyl was also glued in order to keep it tight enough to show all the detail lines.

It takes some stretching to keep the bulges out of the curves.

I see a lot of seat shells that don't line up with each other, and also, if too much foam is on the shells it will show up when the screws are installed.

I'm still waiting to tighten the rear part of the seat bottom cover.

Registered Member

Here is the seat back after bending and installing some original heavier seat bottom springs for it. The pictures were taken to show the alignment of the springs to the frame and each other, but it should show what you want to know. I think you would have a use 57 seat backs for what you want. JMO

The part of the arm that shows was originally painted battleship gray, so I sprayed it on the rest of the frame. Also notice that the original flat piece of sheet metal is now attached on the left side.

The burlap is really not necessary now since I used a very dense material for the first layer of foam, but I did want the fine wire that the factory used to keep the foam from pushing through the springs, so I just used the old burlap.

Registered Member

Member #:3009

seat back frame

[ thanks for the quick response the pictures will help out a lot . i have a line on a 1957 seat i guess i can just use that instead thanks againUOTE=LEE T;32990]Here is the seat back after bending and installing some original heavier seat bottom springs for it. The pictures were taken to show the alignment of the springs to the frame and each other, but it should show what you want to know. I think you would have a use 57 seat backs for what you want. JMO

The part of the arm that shows was originally painted battleship gray, so I sprayed it on the rest of the frame. Also notice that the original flat piece of sheet metal is now attached on the left side.

The burlap is really not necessary now since I used a very dense material for the first layer of foam, but I did want the fine wire that the factory used to keep the foam from pushing through the springs, so I just used the old burlap.

[/QUOTE]

Registered Member

Member #:3204
    Lee T., Where did you buy the burlap and foam for the upholstering job you did. Excellent by the way! Also, does anybody know a cheaper alternative for seat shells?

Thanks

Sid

Member #:1608
    Thanks for sharing Lee

Registered Member

Sid, I got the foam at my local foam supplier. There should be one in a major city near you, because the furniture and auto upholstery shops have to have it. They also have burlap. To give you an idea what they offer, here is the web site for my supplier.
    http://www.activefoam.com/default.aspx?Page=Home

Registered Member

Member #:2579
    Where did you buy the roll of heavier spring ? Thanks a lot for posting this thread.

Registered Member

I bought it off ebay but I can't find it now. The vendor was "woodensofalegs" they are in California. I used 2" loop, 9ga.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast