Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ls2 fuel rails

Registered Member

Member #:2602

Ls2 fuel rails

I have a ls2 and the fuel rails have 1 inlet line .I need a return line back to the tank . I am looking at tig welding a fitting to the rails for the return line .Is there a better way to do this .
    Mick

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    You don't want to do that. You will need a vet filter regulator to keep a constant 58 psi on the rail. The filter/regulator has a return line in it. You should mount it near the fuel tank as possible.
    Rocky

Registered Member

Thanks for the advice ,could you please post a sketch a the fuel line .I understand the need for a filter regulator,but I m not sure about the return line.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    bowtiedownunder, Chevy has done it two ways over the years, and both seem to work.

Initially the LS1s had the pressure regulator mounted on the fuel rail, and there was a return line on the regulator to return the unused fuel. Sometime in the early 00s, they went to the pressure regulator near the tank. Again there is a return line on the regulator, with a short run back to the tank. This was before the LS2 came out, and it used the same setup. The Corvette regulator/filter is the one usually used, as it's compact and relatively cheap.

The fuel rails without a regulator/return line are much easier to deal with, as you don't need a return line that's the full length of the car.

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Here is a link to the filter regulator.
    https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...ator&FORM=IGRE

Member #:530
    Mick,
    I have a 2002 LS1 in my Nomad. It has a single line fuel rail as Rick mentions above. I installed a new TanksInc tank made with an in-tank pump and plumbed in the Corvette style filter regulator just forward of the tank (mounted on the inside of the passenger frame rail).

Looks like this...

DSCN2428.jpg

2013-03-10 10.25.40.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by WagonCrazy; 04-18-2016 at 07:03 AM.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:115
    I guess I'm one who likes to see the regulator at the fuel rail. Injector fuel flow is sensitive to pressure, so how does the regulator being near the tank compensate for pressure losses between it and the tank? Maybe they figure that with the higher pressure it doesn't matter as much? It makes me wonder why they don't just incorporate a regulator into the pump itself.

Also as I understand it not all LS engines used this "returnless" Corvette system so if you use it do you need to change the fuel map? Seems like you'd need to know what the ECM is set up for.
    Last edited by chevynut; 04-18-2016 at 07:25 AM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:1653
    Be it a matter of economics or improved components, both seem to have worked for GM. My preference is at the rear if for no other reason than to eliminate an additional line, fittings, clamps and time.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Theoretically, having the regulator on the fuel rail should result in less pressure fluctuation.

I think the higher fuel pressure of the LS engines (4 bar or 58 psi) is helpful in overcoming this, relative to earlier setups that are 3 bar/43 psi or even less.

As Nick said, they figured out that they could get away with it, and in the process reduce some cost and complexity.

The fuel map does change with varying fuel pressure, since an injector's flow is proportional to pressure. In fact that's a potential tuning tool - you can richen or lean the engine by changing the fuel pressure. Some pressure regulators even utilize that - having a vacuum operated diaphragm that lowers the fuel pressure 5 psi or so when engine vacuum is high.

There are also GM fuel systems with pulse width modulated voltage to the fuel pump.

Registered Member

Thanks everyone for your input,the link and photos are a big help .There are some filter regulators on eBay that will ship to Australia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast