Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LS L96 6L90E

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    I was looking at L76 engines before I bought. which is the aluminum block version of your engine. They were used in the G8. As noted they are a cross breed between Ls2 & Ls3. The ls3 intake is suppose to fit but you want find alot of info on your mods listed because these engines are not as known as the rest of the LS fleet. LS1 tech would be tge best place to ask mod questions on this engine. The hp numbers you quote can be achived with your engine. The 6 speed is a totally different trans than the 4 speeds before it. Unless you just want to paddle shift you would be happy with a 4l80 4 speed which will fit the tunnel without mod. But if you have purchased a complete swap engine trans harness combo you be money ahead to use the combo imo al depends on your goals really.

Member #:1857
    Spokane WA., Richland WA. and Priest Lake ID.
    Thanks for the response. When you say its a cross between the LS2 and LS3 what does that mean. Its a 6 liter with the truck type intake which by the way does not come with this engine

Registered Member

Member #:571
    LS2 is 6.0 liters with cathedral port heads.

LS3 is 6.2 liters with rectangular port heads.

Yours is 6.0 with rectangular port heads.

Member #:896
    Brendan at LT1swaps.com programmed my ECM for $75.
    At his shop he had 6L90E on the floor. It is huge and would require major tunnel mods to a 57.
    He also said something that flew over my head that might apply to your 6L90E, He said the industry had not figured out programming ECM and paddle shifting in swaps.
    Last edited by Bihili; 04-28-2016 at 06:27 AM. Reason: error
    Bill 1957-427-177-6-410

Quote Originally Posted by Bihili View Post
    Brendan at LT1swaps.com programmed my ECM for $75.
    At his shop he had 4L90 on the floor. It is huge and would require major tunnel mods to a 57.
    He also said something that flew over my head that might apply to your 4l90E, He said the industry had not figured out programming ECM and paddle shifting in swaps.
    I think you mean 6l90e. There are very few that do the six speed and support the tap shift function but they are out there. John Speartech specializes in the 6 speed and tap shift but he is proud of his work$$$$$ I am planning to use him but as a comparison I did my own wiring harness and had it tuned for under 250$ The 6 speed swap and mixed engine combo is going to cost me 2500$ for tune and custom harness and hardware. The newer LS stuff is more involved then the first gen stuff that controlled the trans and engine in one ecm. The 6 speed has its own TCM inside of it. You now have to use same year ecms for the 6 speed.
    Rocky

Registered Member

Surprised that the custom shift functions seem to be difficult/expensive since GM offers a clumsy version OEM on the shifter stick on pickups. Seems like that could be repackaged fairly readily - but I have no real knowledge on how they go about it.

I didn't know much about 6L80 or 6L90 transmissions (even though I own a vehicle with one). I was surprised to find that there are no sprags or roller clutches. I guess that explains why mine is so jerky at low speed/light throttle - it doesn't seem to know what gear to be in for some conditions in city driving, especially when it and the engine are cold. I was also kind of surprised that the 6L80 and 6L90 are essentially the same transmission except for the torque ratings. I didn't see any description of how they achieve the higher ratings in a 6L90 either. The other thing I saw was that the aftermarket companies steer you away from 6 speed automatics if you have power adders, saying they weren't strong enough. Which probably makes sense anyway, most guys with a turbo don't care.

Member #:1857
    Spokane WA., Richland WA. and Priest Lake ID.
    Holly smokes, I thought these ls combos were suppose to be user friendly but doesn't sound like it in this case. Maybe due to the newness of this combo. I might just want to buy the L96 LS engine and not the 6l90 tranny and purchase a 4l60 seperately. Do we have any good info. on this motor ?

Member #:896
    Quote Originally Posted by rockytopper View Post
    I think you mean 6l90e.
    Rocky
    Yes I did mean 6L90E.
    Thanks for the correction. You can tell it flew over my head.
    Bill 1957-427-177-6-410

gjw don't let me scare you. If you are buying a complete take out that includes harness and trans and computer there are several suppliers that can make it stand alone for reasonable money. But if you are buying a incomplete package I would shy away from the 6 speed unless you just want paddle shifting. It has a very low first gear which is almost useless if you don't gear it right and have the proper tire height as it is designed for. Even the 4 speeds first gear and second ratio are so far apart drag racers put the 400 in them. But for the street I like them. You need highway gears in the rear for both. The 6 speed in stock form is far stronger than the 4l60 etc.... I learned all this after I purchased. The first gen ls1 is far easier to diy swap. Depending on your engine year you may have VVT and dot or what every they call it to deal with. If your looking for mileage some say to leave all that in the tune but if your goal is to build a performance setup you might consider an older version of LS with a 4l80 trans....

Registered Member

The six speed autos have that really low 1st gear so that they can run a really tight torque converter - for gas mileage. Probably one reason the aftermarket guys downplay them - and rightly so.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast